Morning rumors involving: Ruutu, Clowe, Moen, Carter, Thomas, Canadiens, Hurricanes, Flyers, Maple Leafs, Crosby, Duchene, Blackhawks and Blue Jackets
- Updated: January 30, 2012
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: The Hurricanes have taken lots of calls on Tuomo Ruutu and he could be moved this week. Sharks GM Doug Wilson said there was no chance Ryane Clowe is going anywhere. The Canucks and Red Wings are just a couple of the teams that would be interested in Moen. One source is saying Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier is telling teams he’s not ready to start trading yet. The Blue Jackets will be looking to move their pending UFAs and possibly Jeff Carter. Carter doesn’t really want to be in Columbus, but can Howson find someone interested in his contract? He has 10 years left at a $5.27 million salary cap hit.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Garrioch doesn’t think the Bruins will move Tim Thomas when his no-movement clause expires on July 1st. The Canadiens haven’t decided if they will be buyers or sellers. GM Gauthier is looking for a big center. There was talk that they could be interested in Sabres center Derek Roy, but he’s 5’8″. Since it doesn’t look like Ryan Suter and Shea Weber will be available at the trade deadline, the Flyers will look at Hurricanes Tim Gleason, Bryan Allen and Jaroslav Spacek. A Jeff Carter trade would more likely happen in the summer. The Maple Leafs would like to add a center, and he’d like to get something done in the next 48 hours (starting yesterday). Tuomo Ruutu is a possibility, but the Hurricanes are asking a lot for him.
- Shelly Anderson of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: The results from Sidney Crosby’s MRI and CAT scans could be released today. He returned to Pittsburgh over the weekend, and continued skating.
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: Yesterday marked the 4 week anniversary of Avalanche forward Matt Duchene’s knee injury that was to sideline him for at least a month. Though there is no official word on when he’ll return, Dater guesses it will be at least another couple weeks.
- Tim Sassone via twitter: The trade deadline is a month away, and Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman is not done. Sassone thinks they’ll a defenseman, maybe 2, or possibly another forward.
- Paul Friesen of the Winnipeg Sun: Don’t look for the Jets to be looking for a rental player by the trade deadline. They could be sellers if they remain out the playoffs.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Expect a roster move today by the Blue Jackets as they have 12 healthy forwards and 6 defenseman. Jeff Carter could be close.