- Craig Custance of ESPN: Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman would love to find a trading partner.
“There’s a lot of guys looking for players and not a lot willing to part with players,” he said during a Tuesday phone conversation. “I don’t know if it’s going to change a ton the next couple weeks.”
The Lightning and Islanders aren’t ready to be sellers just yet.
“Teams that are out of it are looking more towards the future,” Bowman said. “If that’s the case, there’s nothing you can do. Those teams are looking at the summer and going, ‘You know what? Why are we going to trade him away?’”
If the right center was made available, they would be interested despite recently acquiring Brendan Morrison. They will target defensemen. Canadiens Hal Gill would be an option.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Garrioch thinks the Blackhawks could end up trading for Islanders goalie Evgeni Nabokov to become their starter.
- Corey Masisak of NHL.com: The Sharks might be looking for a 3rd line energy guy who can kill penalties. They could deal Antero Niittymaki, but they won’t get much return for him. The Kings will be looking to add scoring. They have Jonathan Bernier to trade, but they’ll want a big return for him. The Coyotes could use some scoring up front. If they become sellers, they have Ray Whitney and Daymond Langkow to move. If the Stars are buyers, they could use a top 6 forward. If they become sellers they may look to move Nicklas Grossman and/or Sheldon Souray. If the Ducks won’t make Teemu Selanne or Saku Koivu available, they could consider moving any of Ryan Getzlaf, Bobby Ryan and Lubomir Visnovsky.
- Dave Lozo of NHL.com: The Red Wings have room to take on $24 million in cap space. Travis Moen and Ales Hemsky could be options.
- Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News: It’s unclear if the Flyers and defenseman Matt Carle have held serious contract talks. Carle will be a UFA and there is belief that he could get a deal similar to James Wisniewski’s 6 years, $33 million on the open market.
- Michael Russo of the Star Tribune: Wild center Mikko Koivu practiced yesterday and could return tonight. Coach Mike Yeo on a possible trade:
“The one thing our entire team needs right now is just to go out on the ice with the idea that we’re good enough because we are. Obviously, if we can do things to make our team better I know there’s not a GM in the league who’s working harder than Chuck [Fletcher] on this. But having said that, we’ve beaten all the good teams in the West. We’ve proven ourself. When we play our game, we’ve proven what we can do.”
- Andy Strickland of True Hockey: Blues forward Andy MacDonald should be back either Sunday or Tuesday. Alex Steen hasn’t skated this week, so his return is unknown.
- Eric Francis via twitter: Francis thinks the Flames can’t afford NOT to re-sign center Olli Jokinen.
- Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch: The Blue Jackets signed Vinny Prospal to a 1 year contract extension worth $2.5 million. He also got a no-trade clause.
- Eric Stephens via twitter: Scouting the Ducks-Hurricanes game last night: Blackhawks, Maple Leafs, Lightning, Coyotes, Flyers, Predators, Rangers and Blues.
- Rich Chere of Star-Ledger: Johan Hedberg said he will start in net for the Devils tonight.