Morning NHL rumors involving the Flyers, Sabres, Canadiens, Wild, Blackhawks, Islanders, Oilers and Rangers
- Updated: February 13, 2012
- Sam Carchidi via twitter: Carchidi thinks the Flyers should go after Luke Schenn if the Predators won’t trade Ryan Suter or Shea Weber. He’d give up a 1st and 2nd round pick for Schenn. Dennis Bernstein via twitter: Schenn isn’t going to the Flyers, not because of James van Riemsdyk’s concussion, but because they think he’s overrated. Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer: The Flyers could also go after Hurricanes Bryan Allen or Canadiens Hal Gill.
- Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News: The Sabres are 14th in the conference, but only 8 points out. GM Darcy Regier indicated that some moves could be for both short term (playoff run) and long term (future cap room). Brad Boyes, Jochen Hecht and Paul Gaustad are UFAs. Marc-Andre Gragnani (RFA) has had a disappointing season and could be moved. There has been rumors that Derek Roy has been available for most of the season. Robyn Regehr and Jordan Leopold have 1 year left on their deals. Regehr had waived his no-trade last year to come to Buffalo, and may not want to move again. Drew Stafford has 3 more years and might get some interest. The Oilers might have interest in Stafford. Andrej Sekera has 3 years left at $2.75 million per, and might interest some teams.
- The Fourth Period: The Canadiens could move pending UFAs Andrei Kostitsyn, Travis Moen, Mathieu Darche, Hal Gill and Chris Campoli. Moen may not be moved as his agent said “he’s been given every indication that he’s in their plans.” His agent did acknowledge that a trade is still possible.
- Michael Russo of the Star Tribune: Wild GM Chuck Fletcher wants to make the playoffs, but he’s not going to give up the future to do so. “When you look at it historically, when you’re talking about the rental type of trades, the vast majority of time, the team trading the player with the expiring contract and picking up future considerations almost always wins,” Fletcher said.
- David Shoalts of the Globe and Mail: The Blackhawks could use a goaltender immediately, and unfortunately for them, Evgeni Nabokov is currently off the market. Nikolai Khabibulin may be the only goalie available, but he’s been inconsistent and has a 1 year left with a $3.75 million.
- BD Gallof via twitter: Islanders GM Garth Snow has confirmed that Evgeni Nabokov won’t be dealt. But if someone were to overpay …
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: The Oilers have reportedly taken defenseman Andy Sutton off the trade market after signing him to a 1 year deal worth between $1.5 and $1.75 million. The Oilers could be dangling Cam Barker. They won’t give Ales Hemsky a new 4 or 5 year deal, but they might go 2 years. The Predators are looking for a top 6 forward, and have been dangling Jonathan Blum.
- Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News: Leonard lists Ray Whitney, Brad Boyes, Pavel Kubina and Hal Gill as pontential targets for the New York Rangers.