- Craig Custance of ESPN: Flyers GM Paul Holmgren is waiting for more teams to becomes sellers.
“There’s still a lot of teams that are deciding what to do, which way to go. You look at the standings, that’s easy to understand,” Holmgren said. “That doesn’t mean we’re not looking around trying to improve ourselves. I don’t think it’s any different than any other teams. You’re always looking to improve your team if you can, then you have to weigh the cost.”
The Flyers could use some help on the blueline, but their are not alone.
“Most teams in the league are,” he said. “Everybody’s looking for a defenseman right now. Even a team that has a lot of them kind of try to load up this time of year on defensemen.”
They’d love to get Ryan Suter, but they may have to wait till July 1st. Hurricanes Bryan Allen is an option, along with Canadiens Hal Gill. They are believed to be interested in Maple Leafs Luke Schenn.
- Damien Cox of the Toronto Star: The Maple Leafs were lukewarm on Ducks Bobby Ryan due to his position and cap number, but if Blue Jackets Rick Nash is available, they’d view him very, very differently.
- David Pagnotta via twitter: Dustin Penner to the Maple Leafs make 0 sense. They want a top 6 guy, and will likely get one.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Matheson notes that if Nikolai Khabibulin didn’t another year left on his contract, he’d definitely be moved as a rental.
- Robert Tychkowski of the Edmonton Sun: Ales Hemsky’s agent and the Oilers have talked about a contract.
“We talked,” said Hemsky, who’s scheduled for unrestricted free agency this summer. “And I’m open to whatever happens (staying or going). I’ll see what kind of offers they will give me and we will take it from there.”“We talked,” said Hemsky, who’s scheduled for unrestricted free agency this summer. “And I’m open to whatever happens (staying or going). I’ll see what kind of offers they will give me and we will take it from there.”
- Kevin Kurz of CSN California: Capitals Mike Knuble has been a healthy scratch for 3 straight games. He shot down rumors that he’ll be joining the Sharks.
- Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington: Capitals GM George McPhee has some pieces he could move to help improve his team. He has 3 unhappy players in Mike Knuble, Jeff Schultz and John Erskine. They have 2 1st round picks, theirs and Colorado’s, and prospects Cody Eakin and Stanislav Galiev. They could also dangle Alex Semin. Nicklas Backstrom is likely out another month with his concussion.
- Sports.ru: Capitals prospect Evegeny Kuznetsov already knows if he’ll be heading to Washington next year or staying in the KHL, but he’s not telling anyone yet.
- Erik Erlendsson via twitter: It’s too soon to say that Lightning’s Mattias Ohlund’s career is over, but his season is most likely over.
- David Pollak via twitter: Scouting the Sharks-Capitals game last night were: Blue Jackets (2), Ducks, Stars, Canadiens, Canucks, Flyers, Lightning, Predators, Blues, Red Wings and Coyotes. Ben Raby via twitter: Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier was at the Sharks-Caps game.
- Renaud Lavoie via twitter: Scouting the Canadiens-Hurricanes last night were: Kings (2), Oilers, Canucks, Coyotes, Red Wings, Avalanche, Panthers, Ducks, Penguins, Capitals and Senators.
- Mike Zeisberger via twitter: Flames Mike Cammalleri will move from the wing to center tonight against the Maple Leafs. He’ll center Tom Kostopoulos and Blake Comeau.
- Brian Hedger via twitter: Red Wings Jimmy Howard is out tonight and is questionable for Friday against the Predators.
- Chris Kuc via twitter: Ray Emery will start in net for the Blackhawks tonight against the Predators.