- Fan 590 Audio: Elliotte Friedman on Prime Time Sports talking about Rick Nash rumors and the trade deadline.
- Fan 590 Audio: Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk on Hockey Central @ Noon discussing the recent Stars struggles and the trade deadline.
- Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News: Red Wings GM Ken Holland said ‘Nothing is imminent right now,” on the trade front. Holland would like to add some depth. A player with some grit, either up front or on the blueline. A goal scorer would also be nice. He is not interested in adding a goalie. “We like the chemistry of our team,” Holland said. “We like what we have. We feel we have a good team. We’re not going to trade away assets for a player who may not crack our lineup.”
- Craig Custance of ESPN: It’s likely the Red Wings will attempt to bring in depth at the deadline.
“There’s a little more chatter the last few days than there has been because the deadline is coming,” Holland said when we chatted on Tuesday afternoon. “Will we do something? We’re going to explore. We have cap space; we structured it at the beginning of the year that way. We’d like to give our team a bit of a boost.”
The Red Wings can add at least $15 million in salary at the deadline. Teemu Selanne would be a perfect fit. Travis Moen of the Canadiens, Sammy Pahlsson of the Blue Jackets and Paul Gaustad of the Sabres could be options. They won’t be giving up top D prospect Brendan Smith. A NHL scout on the Red Wings deadline strategy:
“For the Red Wings, it’s a matter of what are you willing to give up? You have to be careful; you have to keep your young guys. Depth up front would be great for them, not necessarily on the top two lines but in the bottom six and on defense. You’re not sure what you’re going to get out of Jakub Kindl in a playoff run; you don’t know how much hockey you’re going to get from Mike Commodore. Goaltending is not an issue as long as Jimmy Howard recovers.”
- Mike Zeisberger of the Toronto Sun: Zeisberger thinks the Maple Leafs should take a run at Rick Nash. He has a special combination of skill and strength. If they did bring in Nash, don’t expect Mikhail Grabovski to get his $5 million contract from Burke. GM Scott Howson will demand Jake Gardiner as part of the package.
- Randy Miller via twitter: Miller thinks it may be worth a shot to do a Ryan Miller for Patrick Kane deal as the Blackhawks need a goalie bad. Tim Sassone via twitter: Patrick Kane is “absolutely not” on the trade block.
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: The Avalanche lost J.S. Giguere to a groin injury last night. Peter Mueller missed the game with a torso injury, and TJ Galiardi left the game with a torso ailment.
- Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post Dispatch: Struggling Blues forward Chris Stewart found himself practicing with the 4th line yesterday, and is expected to remain their for their game tonight. Carlo Colaiacovo had x-rays on his wrist. Kent Huskins is expected to replace him. Alex Steen practiced but is not close to returning. Andy Strickland via twitter: Colaiacovo has a sprained wrist.
- Randy Miller via twitter: Carle, Bourdon, JVR, Read and Briere were on the Flyers 2nd power play unit yesterday at practice.
- Mike Zeisberger of the Toronto Sun: Maple Leafs defenseman Luke Schenn was made a healthy scratch last night. Keith Aulie replaced Schenn.
- Seth Rorabaugh via twitter: Scouting the Penguins-Ducks game last night: Lightning, Rangers, Bruins, Canucks, Blackhawks, Jets, Avs, Oilers, Kings, Leafs, Devils, Hurricanes, Flyers and Red Wings.