Afternoon rumors involving: Blue Jackets, Jets, Sabres, Canadiens, Bruins, Flyers, Rangers, Kings, Avalanche, Islanders, Crosby, Hunter and starting goalies
- Updated: February 17, 2012
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: The Blue Jackets don’t expect to make any trades this weekend, but one phone call could change that.
- Tim Campbell of the Winnipeg Free Press: Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff said yesterday there’s no doubt he’s a buyer. “I’m always going to be trying to acquire assets. I’m always looking to make our team better for the future.” “It’s not just other teams asking about (our young players),” he said. “There are a lot of things that are talked about.” Cheveldayoff said there hasn’t been any contract extension talk with any of their pending UFAs: Jim Slater, Tanner Glass, Kyle Wellwood, Tim Stapleton, Johnny Oduya, Randy Jones, Mark Flood and Chris Mason.
- Scott Burnside and Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: Burnside thinks it’s time for the Sabres to start making some deals. The Canadiens should find a taker for Hal Gill and perhaps Andrei Kostitsyn. Travis Moen and Chris Campoli could also be moved. The Bruins and Rangers will both be looking to add some depth along the blueline. A source said the Flyers could also be looking at adding another Dman. Hurricanes Bryan Allen and Jaroslav Spacek will be UFAs. Luke Schenn could be had if it helps the Leafs land a top 6 forward. The Kings Jack Johnson could be in play, but they’d need to get a top forward back
- Adrian Deter of the Denver Post: Dater thinks the Avalanche will move a defenseman, with Shane O’Brien making sense. Dater also thinks teams will be interested Ryan Wilson, Ryan O’Byrne and Kyle Quincey.
- David Hutchinson of the Star Ledger: The Devils are looking for a veteran defenseman. Marek Zidlicky is one possibility, and he’s already waived his no trade clause for them.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: The Islanders are looking for a top 4 defenseman.
- Pens Inside Scoop via twitter: Penguins Sidney Crosby skated with teammates today because of ice time availability. No change in his status.
- Joe Haggerty via twitter: Bruins forward Rich Peverley is out 4 to 6 weeks with a grade 3 MCL sprain in his right knee.
- Renaud Lavoie via twitter: The Kings have put Trent Hunter on waivers.
- Eric Stephens via twitter: Jonas Hiller will start in net for the Ducks tonight against Martin Brodeur and the Devils.
- Harvey Fialkov via twitter: Tomas Vokoun will start for the Capitals against Jose Theodore and the Panthers.
- Marc Antoine Godin via twitter: Carey Price will start in net for the Canadiens against the Sabres.