- The Fourth Period: A source is saying the Flyers are actively looking for a number 1 goalie. The source is saying they could package Sergei Bobrovsky and possibly James van Riemsdyk for the right goaltender. The Flyers could be looking at Nikolai Khabibulin, JS Giguere and Ondrej Pavelec. It’s unclear if the Jets would part with Pavelec, who’ll be a RFA at the end of the year.
- Helene St. James via twitter: The Red Wings would like to add a forward, but there’s not a lot teams selling, and the prices are high.
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: Brian Burke on calls for Ron Wilson’s firing, “I’m not contemplating a coaching change.”
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Many teams are intersted in Avs UFAs David Jones and Daniel Winnik, and RFA T.J. Galiardi.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Teams like the Stars and Avalanche are thinking about getting into the playoffs, but they are also thinking about how to build a team that can contend in the future.
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: Islanders GM Garth Snow is acting like the Islanders are still pushing for the playoffs, people saying his asking prices are huge.
- Renaud Lavoie via twitter: Sabres Derek Roy is getting interest from the Maple Leafs and others.
- Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe: The Bruins hope to add someone that can play on one of their top 3 lines. and a defenseman that can log some minutes.
”I think those deals are there to do,” said Chiarelli. ”You’re never sure, but….I’d like to be further along in some of these discussions, down to the short strokes, but yes, right now, I think we are getting closer and there are one or two deals we could close.”
One player the Bruins could be looking at is Sammy Pahlsson. Jaroslav Spacek could be an option along the blueline.
”My motivating factors are, first of all, depth,” said Chiarelli, when asked his target areas. ”And then injury, especially to our forwards. Both Nathan (Horton) and (Rich Peverley) remain out, and though we expect both are going to be back, you have to make sure you are covered.”