Leafs and Panthers interested in Stastny … Burke quotes … Lightning called about Bishop … Would take more than Raymond for Ott

• The Fouth Period: Several teams have inquired about Avalanche center Paul Stastny, with the Maple Leafs and Panthers showing the most interest.  Greg Sherman and Brian Burke have spoken frequently, and the Avalanche have scouted the Leafs several times this month. The Avs could be looking to move defenseman Ryan O’Bryrne.
  • Lance Hornby of the Toronto Sun: Brian Burke:

“We’ve spent three years putting together some depth here,” Burke told Hockey Night In Canada a half hour before the Leafs laid an egg against Washington. “We’re not going to blow it all up to try to squeak in the eighth spot.”

“Teams that think they’re close and are trying to load up, teams that are banged up and trying to patch holes, teams that have under-achieved … we don’t fall in any of those categories. So from my perspective, we’re in the hunt. If we can add a piece that gives up a better shot at getting in the playoffs, we’re going to do it.”

Burke on Mikhail Grabovski:

“I don’t intent to move him at this time. That could change, but I see him as a guy that we wait until the end of the year and see if we can sign him then.”

• Damian Cristodero via twitter: Lightning GM Steve Yzerman spoke with the Blues about Ben Bishop, but he didn’t want to give up a 2nd round pick for him.
  • Damian Cristodero via twitter: Yzerman on the trade deadline: “We’ve made our major moves here. As far as acquiring impact players, it’s more likely at the draft”
  • Mark Spector via twitter: Stars source said there’s no chance they trade Steve Ott to the Canucks for just Mason Raymond.

1. Captain Ahab

February 26, 2012 at 1:02 pm

While I like Mason Raymond I too think it would take more to get Ott to Vancouver. The Canucks have quite a few NHL ready players down on the farm and if that option doesn’t work then they could include a 2nd rounder, which apparently this year is the “pick de jour”.

2. Blair

February 26, 2012 at 1:09 pm

there’s way we are giving up Mason Raymond and a 2nd rounder. That’s way to much, i could see a 4th maybe a 3rd, but then again we do need a gritty guy like Ott. He would fit in well in our hated community lol :p

3. Captain Ahab

February 26, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Did you catch Brian Burke on TV last night?
    If any of you saw the interview prior to the Toronto – Washington game you also heard Brian Burke throw James Reimer under the bus and blame him for all of the Leafs woes.
    He said — if it wasn’t for Jonas Gustavsson the Leafs wouldn’t even be where they now are in the standings.
    Wow!
    Talk about hanging all of your teams woes on one young man’s shoulders. I didn’t have much respect for Brian Burke as it was but now I have none. There is nothing he can do or say that can redeem him in my eyes.
    I watched the same Leafs team I have watched most every saturday night make mistake after mistake and hang an already fragile goaltender out to dry.
    The first goal was a wrap around that he should have stopped but if Phaneuf had worked even a little or had Gardiner been where he should have been and had stopped the player from coming out from behind the net, the goal wouldn’t have happened.
    The second goal was caused by a very poor effort by Luke Schenn and him being stripped of the puck. The shot surprised a startled Reimer, who I will admit should have been ready to stop the puck but I have seen other goalies surprised and scored on.
    Do those two goals sound like it was just the goalie who was at fault?
    I believe Burke is doing a CYA (covering his ass) for assembling a crappy coaching unit (10th in the standings, 12th on the power play and 29th on the PK) and supplying those coaches with some very subpar players. If not that then Wilson has lost touch with his room (if he ever had it in the first place) and they are not willing to work for him.
    I always thought there was no I in team or even a U but Brian Burke said: I place all the blame on U Reimer. How sad.

4. Wunschkind89

February 26, 2012 at 2:04 pm

@Captain Ahab

I think yer reading too much in the “throwing James Reimer under the bus.” Burke is referring to Gustavsson doing an admirable job when Reimer was hurt.

What I do find weird is him saying that he doesn’t think the team is in the category of loading up to sqeeze into 8th place, Yet wants to add a piece to make the playoffs, while sitting 3-points out of 8th. I hope Burke doesn’t do something foolish.

5. childs

February 26, 2012 at 2:21 pm

3 trades that will/should be made..

grabo for a pick and prospect….

stastny out of col…lombo and komi for salary reasons and then throw in a combination of picks and prospects.

brown and penner out of LA..i heard it might be schenn, frattin or mac..

6. Lennycle7

February 26, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Penner=Signed to offer sheet (2 1st rounders, 2nd and a 3rd ), Traded to LA last year (Top D prospect, 1st rounder and a conditional pick). Even though he’s a UFA at the end of the year something tells me that picking him up will A)Not be cheap and B)Be kind of foolish and against everything that Brian Burke has said about “Building for the future and not selling the farm to squeeze into 8th”.

7. Jimmy

February 26, 2012 at 5:26 pm

@Captain Ahab that’s idiotic and it sounds like you’re just trying to stir the pot or just plain troll… Burke was merely defending Gustavsson against all the chatter over the questionable goals Gus let in against New Jersey. His comments had nothing to do with Reimer whatsoever. Go back and watch it again before you post such garbage.

February 26, 2012 at 5:40 pm

ya there may be something to stasny coming to the leafs..i think the avs do need salary and might have a use for komi.. the buzz is, is that a lot of the players in colorado dont like how things are run there… but if colorado gets rid of stastny… i think their situation worsens.. what direction is colorado actually headed in if they do that??

i doubt they are gonna get brown out of LA. i think the recent moves that LA did, is gonna put more pressure on penner to perform and may help him to do so..

at this point for the leafs, im optimistic we might get something done… our team is so deep with a ton of quality tradeable assets, but finding a trading partner is another story..