Leafs and Panthers interested in Stastny … Burke quotes … Lightning called about Bishop … Would take more than Raymond for Ott
- Updated: 02/26/2012
- The Fouth Period: Several teams have inquired about Avalanche center Paul Stastny, with the Maple Leafs and Panthers showing the most interest. Greg Sherman and Brian Burke have spoken frequently, and the Avalanche have scouted the Leafs several times this month. The Avs could be looking to move defenseman Ryan O’Bryrne.
- Lance Hornby of the Toronto Sun: Brian Burke:
“We’ve spent three years putting together some depth here,” Burke told Hockey Night In Canada a half hour before the Leafs laid an egg against Washington. “We’re not going to blow it all up to try to squeak in the eighth spot.”
“Teams that think they’re close and are trying to load up, teams that are banged up and trying to patch holes, teams that have under-achieved … we don’t fall in any of those categories. So from my perspective, we’re in the hunt. If we can add a piece that gives up a better shot at getting in the playoffs, we’re going to do it.”
Burke on Mikhail Grabovski:
“I don’t intent to move him at this time. That could change, but I see him as a guy that we wait until the end of the year and see if we can sign him then.”
- David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News: The health of some Sharks players will help determine if they make a move or not, mainly Martin Havlat and Douglas Murray.
- Damian Cristodero via twitter: Lightning GM Steve Yzerman spoke with the Blues about Ben Bishop, but he didn’t want to give up a 2nd round pick for him.
- Damian Cristodero via twitter: Yzerman on the trade deadline: “We’ve made our major moves here. As far as acquiring impact players, it’s more likely at the draft”
- Mark Spector via twitter: Stars source said there’s no chance they trade Steve Ott to the Canucks for just Mason Raymond.