Simmons says there will be coaching change in Toronto … Karlsson will get a big deal … No contract talks for Jets … Should Nystrom be suspended for Letang hit?
- Updated: March 1, 2012
- Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: Simmons looks at the Leafs under Burke’s reign. Next year will be his 5th season managing the teams. Simmons notes that it is clear now that there will be a coaching change. Bruce Garrioch via twitter: Many people would be shocked to see Burke fire Ron Wilson. Garrioch notes it would make no sense to have Scott Gordon as an interim coach, Rick Dudley would lighten up the room.
- Ken Warren of the Ottawa Citizen: Senators Erik Karlsson will be a RFA at the end of the season, and will be in line for a big, long-term contract. Karlsson may be in the same situation like Steven Stamkos was, with rumblings of teams sniffing around with possible offer sheets.
- Greg Brady via twitter: Brady is hearing that it’s very likely that Mikhail Grabovski’s contract extension will be done by the end of March.
- Ed Tait of the Winnipeg Free Press: Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff said that they’ll get to contract talks for their 7 UFAs (Chris Mason, Jim Slater, Tanner Glass, Kyle Wellwood, Tim Stapleton, Randy Jones and Mark Flood) in due time, but right now they are focusing on getting to the payoffs.
- Adam Jahns of the Sun-Times: Blackhawks center Jonathan Toews did some physical activity yesterday, but there is still no timetable for his return.
- Peter Pupello of NHL.com: Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman is out with an upper-body injury, but it may not be a concussion. The injury hasn’t been diagnosed, and he’ll see more doctors in the next few days. Vincent Lecavalier could be back in 10 days. Marc-Andre Bergeron is still being bothered by a bad back and it’s possible he’s done for the year.
- Jason Gregor via twitter: The Oilers have returned Yann Danis back to the AHL. Nikolai Khbabibulin will be ready to return on Friday.
- Shelly Anderson Pittsurgh Post-Gazette: Penguins forward Tyler Kennedy (high ankle sprain) has been cleared to practice. Kennedy has missed the last 10 games.
- Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Kris Letang left last night’s game with a head injury after taking a hit from Eric Nystrom. Coach Dan Bylsma said Letang is day-to-day. Video below has the hit. Do you think Nystrom should be suspended?