GMs on the hotseat … Trades that didn’t happen … Injury notes on Toews, Gomez, Hedman, Bogosian, and Vokoun … Cherry goes off on Burke (video)
- Updated: March 4, 2012
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: A couple GMs who could be under the gun this offseason: Scott Howson, Pierre Gauthier, George McPhee, Brian Burke, and Dean Lombardi. The Sharks might be willing to trade Joe Pavelski, prospects and picks for Rick Nash after the season. A Nash to Rangers deal didn’t happen because they wouldn’t include Chris Kreider. The Bruins and Blackhawks tried to get Sheldon Souray at the deadline. The Avalanche and Canucks tried to get Steve Ott. The Flyers were close to trading Sergei Bobrovsky, but decided against it due to Ilya Bryzgalov’s inconsistent play. The Lightning, Maple Leafs and Blackhawks were looking for goaltending. Flyers winger James van Riemsdyk was almost traded at the deadline. Sources say that 3 or 4 teams were bidding for him, including the Maple Leafs. The Ducks would have moved Teemu Selanne, but he didn’t want to go anywhere. The Rangers, Sharks, Bruins and Kings were interested. Sergei Gonchar could be moved in the offseason.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: The Predators weren’t shopping goalie Anders Lindback at the deadline, but he could be moved after the season. They could get a 2nd round pick at the draft.
- Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times: Jonathan Toews has missed 6 games with a concussion, and will be out at least 2 more. He hasn’t started skating again, but has done some off-ice workout. There is a chance defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson (concussion symptoms) plays on Tuesday.
- Toronto Sun: Canadiens forward Scott Gomez suffered an eye injury in the 3rd period against Minnesota the other night and is out indefinitely. He may have played his last game in a Canadiens uniform. There is the outside chance that he’s traded (2 years left on contract, $7.3 million cap hit), but it’s more likely he’ll be bought out or buried in the AHL. If he’s bought out, he’d have about a $1.6 million cap hit for the next 4 years.
- Kevin Paul Dupont via twitter: Tuukka Rask’s injury is believed to be his left knee, which was previously scoped.
- Ira Haufman of the Tampa Tribune: Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman missed his 4th straight game with an upper-body injury, but he’s expected to practice this week, and could be cleared to play for Tuesday. Their trainer said it is not a concussion.
- Tim Campbell of the Winnipeg Free Press: Jets defesneman Zach Bogosian left yesterday’s practice early after aggravating an injury. He’ll be a game-time decision on Monday.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: The Leafs put Jay Rosehill on re-entry waivers yesterday.
- Sky Kerstein via twitter: Capitals goalie Tomas Vokoun is day-to-day with a lower body injury.
- Chip Alexander via twitter: Hurricanes defenseman Joni Pitkanen may not return until the final 2 weeks of the season.
- Don Cherry’s Coaches Corner: Cherry goes off Brian Burke’s lack of Ontario players on the Maple Leafs roster.