Morning notes on: Kessel, Crosby, Letang, Lidstrom, Kuznetsov, Gerbe, Nash, Selanne, Gomez and Toews
- Updated: March 15, 2012
- Damien Cox of the Toronto Star: Cox doesn’t think Phil Kessel fits with the Maple Leafs. Despite his ability to score 30 goals,
“He’s no leader on a team still developing internal leadership. He’s not combative or a fierce adversary. He doesn’t bring size to the equation or pluck or two-way excellence.”
Cox thinks the Leafs should look at trading Kessel. He has a $5.4 million cap hit, and will get a $5.1 million salary next year and $5.4 million in the last year of his deal.
- Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Sidney Crosby will see time on the 1st power play unit with Evgeni Malkin. Crosby will play the point on some of the PP. Kris Letang is also expected back tonight.
- Helene St. James via twitter: Red Wings Nicklas Lidstrom suffered a bit of a setback. At yesterdays’ morning skate,
“I was more sore today when I skated, so that’s why I was out there for just a few minutes. It was more sore today.” He has a deep bone bruise and there is still some swelling, no fracture.
On shutting things down for a bit:
“We’ve talked about it,” he said. “I’m sure they’ll talk more to the coaching staff and see what the next step will be, but it’s still day-to-day. It’s discouraging that I haven’t started feeling better, as it’s going on two weeks now.”
- Dmitry Chesnokov via twitter: In a TV interview, Capitals prospect Evgeni Kuznetsov said he’s staying in the KHL next season.
- John Vogl via twitter: Sabres Nathan Gerbe was scratched from last night’s game with upper-body injury.
- Jim Matheson via twitter: A veteran pro scout on Blue Jackets Rick Nash, he loves his skill but “Does he make other people around him better?”
- Derek van Diest of the Toronto Sun: Blue Jackets Rick Nash won’t talk about his trade request and why he wanted out of Columbus.Defenseman James Wisniewski on how it is has been in the dressing room after Nash’s request came out last month,
“Our job is to go out there and play hockey,” said Blue Jackets defenceman James Wisniewski. “We go out there to try and win hockey games. What happened behind the scene is his personal business and we support him as a person and as a player.”
- Jeff Miller of the OC Register: Jari Kurri thinks that Teemu Selanne should keep playing,
“Everybody’s really happy with what he’s doing,” Jari Kurri said. “Keep going. Why stop now?”
“I’m hoping he keeps playing,” Kurri said. “Why stop? I know he wants to win. He wants to do well and he’s playing well. I don’t see any reason for him to stop.”
- Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette: Canadiens forward Scott Gomez will miss some time with a concussion. Gomez suffered the injury when he was hit by Sabres Tyler Myers, who was suspended for 3 games.
- Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune: (written on Tuesday) Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville on Jonathan Toews:
“it’s part of the process. Some days are better than others, but he knows his body and we’ll see how he is. Hopefully, we’ll get him back on the ice (Wednesday) and things progress.”
“Jonathan was excited when he was skating,” Quenneville said. “He’s still looking forward to getting back. Hopefully, it’s going to be soon.