Backstrom could play Saturday … Letang out at least 2 games … Leafs interested in Abbott … Vokoun ready … Canucks goalies
- Updated: March 28, 2012
- Chuck Gormley via twitter: Capitals center Nicklas Backstrom said he won’t play on Thursday against Boston. Could be looking at Saturday against the Canadiens.
- Josh Yohe via twitter: Penguins defenseman Kris Letang won’t play on Thursday or Friday.
- Damien Cox of the Toronto Star: Word is that the Maple Leafs are close to signing college free agent Spencer Abbott of the Maine Black Bears. A number of teams are interested but he may be leaning towards signing with the Leafs. Abbott had 62 points in 39 games and is a Hobey Baker Award finalist.
- David ALter via twitter: Maple Leafs line: MacArthur-Grabovski-Frattin, Ashton-Bozak-Kessel, Connolly-Steckel-Crabb, Rosehill-Lombardi-Brown-Armstrong.
- David Alter via twitter: The Leafs called up Ben Scrivens and sent Jussi Rynnas down.
- Ken Warren via twitter: Senators Ben Bishop said his recovery is ahead of schedule and is hoping to skate this weekend. He might be able to play next week.
- Stephen Whyno via twitter: Capitals goalie Tomas Vokoun said he’s healthy and ready to go.
- Iain MacIntyre of the Vancouver Sun: Canucks Cory Schneider will start tonight, and should get another start this weekend as they have a back-to-back starting Friday. There is a chance Schneider plays in 5 of 9 games in a 2 week stretch that follows Roberto Luongo’s worst 4 game stretch this year. “Is it possible there’s a genuine goaltending audition going on here and no one has much noticed or believed it?”