- Nick Kypreos via twitter: Red Wings defenseman Kyle Quincey may have a hearing today at 1 PM for his elbow to the head of Panthers forward Tomas Kopecky.
- Eric Duhatschek of the Globe and Mail: The Flames missed the playoffs for the 3rd season in a row, and the team is at a crossroads. Jarome Iginla will be 35 when next season starts and is in the final year of his deal. Does Iginla want to stay and take part in another rebuild? If not, they need to find out quickly and attempt to get the most return for him. Miikka Kiprusoff has 2 years left, he’ll make $5 million next year and $1.5 million the following year. Brent Sutter’s status will need to be re-evaluated this summer. UFAs are: Olli Jokinen, Lee Stempniak, David Moss, Tom Kostopoulos, Cory Sarich and Scott Hannan. Feaster’s primary need is a #1 center.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Matheson handicaps the next Canadiens GM: 3-1 Patrick Roy, 4-1 Julien Brisebois. 5-1 Francois Giguere, 7-1 Marc Bergevin, 8-1 Pierre McGuire, 9-1 Claude Loiselle, 10-1 Vincent Damphousse, 12-1 Pierre Dorion, 15-1 Pat Brisson. The Stars may ask Brenden Morrow for a list of teams that he might be willing to accept a trade to this summer. The Lightning will look at Jonathan Bernier this summer, but the Kings won’t move him until they get a veteran to backup Quick. They’ll be looking for someone who’s started before. The Predators may not have a fit for their 2008 1st round pick, Colin Wilson, and may look to move him after the season. Sabres winger Thomas Vanek has possibly been playing with a shoulder problem for months. Matheson wonders where the Maple Leafs will get a #1 goalie. Would Calgary move Kiprusoff? Matheson offers a Schneider for Gardiner and Reimer deal or their lottery pick and a defenseman not named Gardiner. It doesn’t look like Ducks prospect Justin Schultz wants to sign with them, and many feel the Rangers have the inside track. One GM said the Oilers would be a good fit for Schultz. The Stars will go after Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, but the Red Wings may have the inside track.
- Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press: Jets defenseman Dustin Byfuglien has a “lower body bone bruise.”
“It’s never fun to play hurt and it has cut down on my ability to get around out there. But you have to help the team and I won’t shut it down for even a game until we’re eliminated. I have to do my part,” said Byfuglien.
- Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington: Capitals goalie Tomas Vokoun suffered another groin injury and may have played his last game for the Capitals.
- Terry Koshan of the Toronto Sun: The Maple Leafs need to acquire a goalie this summer, but the free agent crop isn’t that great: Tomas Vokoun, Josh Harding, Martin Biron and Chris Mason. The Leafs need to look bigger: Roberto Luongo, Cory Scneider or Miikka Kiprusoff.