- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: Blues coach Ken Hitchcock is hopeful that defenseman Alex Pietrangelo can return on Thursday, but right now he’s listed as day-to-day.
- Dennis Bernstein via twitter: Hitchcock also said that Jaroslav Halak won’t return for the balance of this series.
- Randy Miller via twitter: Responding to a followers question: It “wouldn’t shock” Miller if the Capitals traded Alex Ovechkin.
- Luke DeCock of the Raleigh News & Observer: Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford has said he’s been given the green light to spend some money on a winger that is capable of playing with Eric Staal, and Zach Parise will be their #1 target. Detroit will be among many teams that will also be trying to sign him as well. If they can’t get Parise, they may wait a year and try to get Jordan Staal hits free agency, or they could try to make a deal with the Penguins beforehand if they decide they can’t re-sign him. There are 3 big names that they could look to trade for: Jarome Iginla, Rick Nash and Patrick Marleau. They may not having an interest in playing in Carolina though, and they wouldn’t be cheap.
- Peter Alder of the Edmonton Journal: Ak Bars Kazan of the KHL is trying to bring Blue Jackets Maxim Mayorov and Jets Alexander Burmistrov to the KHL. Burmistrov has 1 year left on his deal which will pay him $1.5 million. Paul Friesen of the Winnipeg Sun: Burmistrov’s agent:
“Nobody talked to me,” Mark Gandler said, Monday afternoon. “The guy is under contract. End of discussion.”
“If people in Edmonton want to print gossip from the Russian papers without checking sources … all it takes is two minutes to make a phone call,” he said. “They obviously didn’t do their homework.”
- Mike Brophy of Sportsnet: Brophy wonders if it would be better to spend the money on goalies UFA goalie like Antero Niittymaki, Chris Mason, Dan Ellis, Tomas Vokoun, Martin Biron, Josh Harding or Curtis Sanford than trading for Roberto Luongo’s and his contact. The Leafs could hope they get a preformance like Brian Elliott and Mike Smith, both who signed for minimal amount before this past season. The Lightning had put Smith on waivers with no takers last year. Burke doesn’t have the luxury of making a mistake though. If they miss the playoffs again, he’s time as the Leafs GM is likely over.
- Allen Panzeri of the Ottawa Citizen: Senators owner Eugene Melnyk cautions defenseman Erik Karlsson to be “reasonable” with his contract demands. Karlsson could be looking for a deal in the $6.5 to $7.5 million range. Other young top defenseman deals: Viktor Hedman – low $4 million per season, Shea Weber – 1 year deal at $7.5 million, Drew Doughty – 8 years and $56 million, Tyler Myers – 6 years and $33 million. GM Bryan Murray isn’t worried about negotiations.
- Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea: Kurz wonders if Sharks Antti Niemi could be an option for the Blue Jackets. Niemi has 3 years left at a $3.8 million cap hit. The Sharks may revisit the Rick Nash trade talks this summer. The Sharks don’t have a lot of goalie depth. Thomas Greiss has proven he can at least be a backup in the NHL. Alex Stalock, Tyson Sexsmith and Harri Sateri are also in the organization.