- TSN: Lightning GM Steve Yzerman went on a Tampa Bay radio station yesterday and said that his search for a starting goalie may not happen through a trade.
“I think everybody’s trying to find somebody that’s an elite guy,” Yzerman told 620 WDAE on Thursday. “I would say there’s probably five or six elite goaltenders in the league and then there’s a group of good goaltenders, and then there’s a group of teams searching for that guy to lock up and not worry about for the present and the future.
“My philosophy is I’m trying to find that Hall of Fame goaltender. But good luck trying to do that, it takes time. We’ll find that guy through the draft or unrestricted free agency — that guy isn’t there at this time.”
- Bob McKenzie Audio: McKenzie doesn’t think there will be much of market for Roberto Luongo as originally thought. The Lightning may be more interested in Jonathan Bernier. The Panthers and Maple Leafs may not be interested in Luongo either. The Leafs may look at Tomas Vokoun as a possible veteran to bring in. Vokoun has an offer from the KHL already.
- Wyatt Arndt of the Vancouver Province: Canucks coach Alain Vigneault (through google translate and TVASports) was talking about Roberto Luongo and disclosed that “This is what he wants now … And what we must do is [make the best decision] for our organization.”
- Gregg Krupa of the Detroit News: Zach Parise and Ryan Suter may be determined to play on the same team according to some teams and agents, and the Red Wings may be the favorite to get both. The Wings have the salary cap room, and play a style that gives the team a “reasonable opportunity annually to win he Stanley Cup.”
“I am assuming that, at least as of right now, they are a package deal,” said one NHL team official, who is aware of the circumstances.
“They certainly seem to have set it up that way, themselves.”
- Sarah McLellan via twitter: Coyotes GM Don Maloney’s top priority is to re-sign Shane Doan. He’ll also look at locking up goalie Mike Smith long-term. Michal Rozsival is on crutches but there doesn’t appear to be any structural damage.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: Still not not known when Gary Bettman will have his ruling for Raffi Torres. Torres may have asked league to count pre-season games as part of his suspension.
- John Shannon via twitter: Rumors of John Davidson leaving the Blues for the Flames are unfounded. Still under contract with the Blues and loves it there. Has had no talks with the Flames.
- Andrey Osadchenko (Allhockey.ru and The Hockey News via twitter: Kirill Kabanov told Osadchenko last night that reports of him going to Salavat (KHL) next season are false, and that he’s staying in North America.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Rick Dudley will likely move to the Canadiens before the NHL draft, but he won’t be allowed to work the draft for them.