Sunday morning notes: Bruins-Caps trade, Brodeur, Parise, Hasek, Setoguchi, Klefbom, Penner, Stastny, Leafs, Isles and Zuccarello
- Updated: May 27, 2012
- Stephen Harris of the Boston Herald: The Boston Bruins have traded for Ray Bourque’s son, Chris. The Bruins send the Capitals center Zach Hamill.
- John Buccigross via twitter: “Martin Brodeur will attempt to become the 9th player in NHL history (and 2nd goaltender) to win the Stanley Cup in three different decades” Renaud Lavoie via twitter: Martin Brodeur said he has no plans on retiring.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: There are 4 likely scenarios for Zach Parise: He stays with the Devils, he signs with the Red Wings, he signs with the Rangers, and he signs with the Wild. The Rangers know they’d give up much less to sign Parise than trade for Rick Nash. Matheson ranks it Wings, Rangers, Devils and Wild. If the Rangers sign Parise, they may look to move Brandon Dubinsky and his $4.2 million cap hit for the next 3 years. Matheson isn’t buying the Dominik Hasek return, and that he wouldn’t come back to be a backup. Matheson thinks teams should look at sending Capitals John Carlson an offer sheet. Wild’s Devin Setoguchi may become expendable as they have some prospects coming and coach Mike Yeo wasn’t happy with his play last season. Oilers prospect Oscar Klefbom will stay in Sweden for one more year. Matheson wonders if the Wild would consider signing Dustin Penner. GM Chuck Fletcher was with Ducks on 2007. Matheson thinks the Avalanche should be offering up Paul Stastny to the Coyotes, maybe for Brandon Gormley and another piece like Mikkel Boedker.
- Dave Feschuk of the Toronto Star: The Maple Leafs will be looking for a veteran goalie. Trading for Roberto Luongo is one option. Dave Nonis on if Dominik Hasek could be an option:
“I think we’re looking for a veteran — I don’t know if we’re looking for that much of a veteran,”
“We’re going to explore (acquiring a veteran goaltender) as far as we can,” Nonis said. “I don’t think you ever want to guarantee that you’re going to find something because you never know what’s going to become available. But our objective is to see what becomes available and then measure that against what we have in net at this point.”
UFA options could be Tomas Vokoun, Scott Clemmensen, Martin Biron and Alex Auld. Through the trade market, Tim Thomas and Jonathan Bernier could be options.
- BD Gallof via twitter: History shows that the Islanders don’t select defenseman when they pick in the top 10. 0 since 2006. Gallof expects the Islanders to draft a forward at #4 and a Dman later.
- Szymon Szemberg via twitter: Rangers Mats Zuccarello has signed a 2 year deal with Metallurg of the KHL.
- Mike Johnson of Sportsnet: Dave Nonis said the Maple Leafs Ben Scrivens won’t change the Leafs search for a veteran goalie, and he’d be surprised if they went with a Reimer-Scrivens combo. Nonis added: (complete audio of Nonis interview)
“The UFA market, there are some pieces there that might be able to help (but) generally you don’t want to build your team with UFAs. Not because it’s not good players there, but you’ve got to spend more, generally, for those players,” Nonis explained.
“For us, yes we’ll look at (unrestricted free agency), we’ll probably jump in for a couple pieces, but overall we’re going to approach the trade market as a primary source of improvement.”