Morning notes: Suter, Sens goalies, Nash, Leafs, Luongo, Brodeur, Rangers, Jets, Smyth, Devils and Canadiens
- Updated: May 29, 2012
- Josh Cooper of the Tennessean: Talks are going to happen between the Predators and Ryan Suter in the coming days. “David and I plan on talking sometime this week,” Sheehy said.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun:The Senators will try to trade Sergei Gonchar’s $5.5 million contract. Garrioch wonders if the Senators would trade either Robin Lehner or Ben Bishop if they get an offer they can’t refuse. They aren’t in a hurry to trade either goalie. The Blue Jackets, Maple Leafs, Lightning and maybe the Devils could be looking for goaltenders. They wouldn’t make a deal with a Leafs. The Lightning want to build around a young goalie. The Blue Jackets may get a goalie in a Rick Nash deal. The Senators showed some interest in Nash, but moved on after Howson asked for Mika Zibanejad, Mark Stone, a 1st round pick and a roster player. The Sens current plan is to bring Lehner and Bishop to camp to battle it out for the backup position.
- Louis-Andre Larivere of QMI in the Toronto Sun: The Maple Leafs receive no compensation for the losing Rick Dudley to the Canadiens, except for assurance that he won’t have any input on draft day. Burke has been pushing for teams to get compensation for losing front office employees. Burke on Roberto Luongo trade speculation:
“There has not been significant discussion (with the Canucks) about that player,” Burke said.
- ESPN: Video (embedding disabled) of Martin Brodeur saying he doesn’t think he’ll retire after the season.
- Dan Rosen via twitter: Rangers Brandon Dubinsky said that he had a high ankle sprain and will need another 6-8 to be fully healed. Brandon Prust will have surgery to repair a tendon on his left ring finger. It was originally hurt in February in a fight with Zenon Konopka.
- The Fourth Period: Re-signing Evander Kane and Ondrej Pavelec are priorities for the Jets. They will also have to decide on Kyle Wellwood, Jim Slater, Tim Stapleton, Tanner Glass, Mark Flood and Randy Jones. The Jets will be looking for some secondary scoring this offseason through trade or free agency. Possible free agent targets could be P.A. Parenteau, David Jones and Jiri Hudler.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Ryan Smyth’s agent will be talking with the Oilers this week. The Oilers have already offered a 2 year contract. Matheson thinks the Oilers could be offering in the $2.5-$2.75 million per season range, and Smyth could be looking for $3 million plus. Smyth hasn’t said much other than he doesn’t want to take a big pay cut from his $4.5 million salary he had last season.
- Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger: The Devils haven’t decided yet if they’ll forfeit this years 1st round draft pick for it’s cap circumvention on Ilya Kovalchuk’s initial contract.
- Corey Pronman via twitter: June 1st is the deadline for signing non NCAA/KHL/MHL 2010 draft picks.