- Free Agents
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
Archive for June, 2012
Justin Schultz has finally made his decision, he’ll be signing with the Edmonton Oilers.
Corey Pronman via twitter: “Schultz immediately becomes the Oilers 2nd best prospect behind Yakupov and the anchor of what’s become a very strong group of D prospects.” … “Justin Schultz is a high-end offensive weapon who dominated puck possession in the WCHA. His skill and hockey sense are very impressive.” … “He’s a smart player in his own end, but he’s a little undersized and I don’t think he’ll be a stud shutdown guy, but he can be solid on D.” … “Schultz has the talent to run a PP unit, play tough minutes, and push the play the other way at even strength at a very desirable level.”
Parise meeting with Lou … Ducks did everything to try to sign Schultz … Leafs targeting Prust? Brodeur and ‘Hawks … Stars letting 5 UFAs hit market
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Hearing that Zach Parise is to meet with Devils GM Lou Lamoriello today for one final time before free agency starts at noon tomorrow.
- Michael Russo via twitter: Zach Parise will be in Toronto with his agents tomorrow.
- Eric Stephens via twitter: Bruce Boudreau said that Ducks GM Bob Murray “did everything right and everything in his power” in his attempt to sign Justin Schultz.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: The Maple Leafs aren’t up to anything after Colby Armstrong buy out, just clearing cap space. Leafs weren’t certain that Armstrong could bounce back from injuries. Nick Kypreos via twitter: One might think that the Maple Leafs might be willing to slide Armstrong’s salary over to Brandon Prust. It’s believed he’s looking for $3 million.
- Mark Spector via twitter: Expecting Ryan Smyth and the Oilers to conclude negotiations today. Trying to get a deal done before tomorrow.
- Pittsburgh Penguins via twitter: Penguins re-sign defenseman Matt Niskanen to a 2 year contract for $4.6 million.
- Tracey Myers of CSN Chicago: Myers wonders if Martin Brodeur could be what the Blackhawks need.
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: The Stars have informed 5 of their unrestricted free agents that they won’t be re-signing them before July 1st, but not closing the door on possible returns: Sheldon Souray, Adam Burish, Radek Dvorak, Jake Dowell and Toby Petersen.
Elliotte Friedman via twitter: Colby Armstrong will be bought out by the Maple Leafs.
Bob McKenzie via twitter: Armstrong will be put on unconditional waivers at noon with the purpose of being bought out.
CapGeek via twitter: Armstrong will carry a $1 million cap hit in each of the next to seasons.
Joe Yerdon via twitter: Yerdon thinks the Armstrong buy out is just in time for the Leafs to fork out a big deal for Brandon Prust.
Big Rangers news today? Nash trade talks heating up … Schultz down to 2 or 3 … Kings not liking Bernier offers … Flyers notes
- John Buccigross via twitter: There could be some big news regarding the New York Rangers today.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Portzline has strong reason to believe that Rick Nash trade talk is heating up considerably on the eve of free agency.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: Word is that the Oilers and Senators are the 2 final teams for Justin Schultz. A 3rd team may still have a shot, told he still hasn’t made a decision. Could be a mid afternoon decision.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: The Kings haven’t been happy with the offers they are getting for Jonathan Bernier. They are hoping for a 1st round pick.
- Joe Haggerty via twitter: Look for the Bruins to stay the course when free agency starts.
- John Boruk via twitter: Scott Clemmensen or Chris Mason may be the Flyers best options as a back-up goalie at this point.
- Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly: If Martin Biron didn’t re-sign with the Rangers, he would have been interested in returning to the Flyers. Seems doubtful they the Flyers can re-sign Jaromir Jagr. Paul Gaustad would be an ideal player for the Flyers. Ruslan Fedotenko is another option. The Flyers are still in on Bobby Ryan. Ducks GM Bob Murray wanted Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier. It’s unlikely they move either Schenn or Couturier. There would be a major hole in the Flyers blueline if Matt Carle leaves. The Flyers would be interested in Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, but it doesn’t appear that they are interested in them.
- Dave Molinari via twitter: The Penguins have re-signed goalie Brad Thiessen to a 1 year, 2 way deal worth $525,000.
Rumors and Notes part 3: Parise, Suter, Blackhawks, Doan, Whitney, Luongo, Hudler, Islanders and Fedotenko
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Teams will throw big money at Zach Parise and Ryan Suter. The Blackhawks are not overly enamoured with Corey Crawford. Would teams throw more than 1 year at Martin Brodeur. Ray Whitney would like to say with the Coyotes, but like Shane Doan, is concerned about ownership. Whitney is good friends with Yzerman, and teams like the Bruins, Blackhawks and Sharks could use a guy like him.
“I’ve always said if Phoenix matches any offer, I’ll stay there. Obviously, we have a home in Carolina, but with the trade they made for (Jordan) Staal and the money they’re going to give up … I’m not looking for them,” said Whitney, who is in the catbird’s seat. “There seems to be a shortage of scoring now.”
The Stars will make a run at Doan. Ryan Suter will get the biggest push from the Red Wings and Penguins. The Wild, Sharks, Red Wings and Penguins will be in the hunt for Zach Parise. Matheson thinks Jaromir Jagr will end up back with the Flyers. 10 free agents to watch: P.A. Parenteau, Jason Garrison, Matt Carle, Bryan Allen, Alexander Semin, Jiri Hudler, Bryce Salvador, Brandon Prust, Olli Jokinen and Jordin Tootoo. Matheson thinks that Roberto Luongo will end up with the Maple Leafs for maybe Cody Franson and a prospect. The Kings could move Jonathan Bernier to the Devils. The Flames have 9 defenseman on 1 way contracts. The Blues may be interested in Jay Bouwmeester.
- Will DePaoli via twitter: Suter’s camp intends to be very patient and it’s a long shot that they will sign on July 1st.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: No deal for Ray Whitney with the Coyotes, and he’ll hit the open market.
- George Richards via twitter: Word is the Panthers are internally getting ready for the return of Roberto Luongo.
- George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press: Jiri Hudler will test out the market, but didn’t rule out the Red Wings.
“Kenny made an offer to us, I would say four to five days ago, and we left it at that point,” Svoboda said. “We didn’t close the door. Maybe we’ll be talking before July 1st. But if not, then we can talk though July 1st. Nothing done yet.”
“Obviously, there’s a difference of opinion, or we’d be working towards a deal,” Holland said this afternoon. “We like him. He did a good job for us. We’d be interested in him coming back. That’s why I made an offer. But they feel that there’s a different marketplace out there than what we’ve offered. Usually, there is.
- BD Gallof via twitter: There is more potential for Islanders trades later on than solving their issues through free agency with the market out of whack.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Portzline wonders about Ruslan Fedotenko for the Blue Jackets. He’s a UFA and is close to Vinny Prospal who has influence with the Blue Jackets these days.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Panthers Mike Santorelli and Matt Bradley both cleared waivers. Bradley can now be bought out.
- Tony Gallagher of the Vancouver Province: The Canucks are after Justin Schulz, and if they don’t get him, they may look at Jason Garrison. They hope to had Sami Salo back for at least 1 more year. Garrison reportedly wanted $5 million from the Panthers. Manny Malhotra could be their 3rd line center. Paul Gaustad could be an option. They could take a look at Shane Doan, and Brandon Prust should get some consideration.
- Vesa Rantanen via twitter: Reports that the Canucks are talking to Salo are false, have not talked in 3 weeks.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: The Blue Jackets will join teams in looking at Brandon Prust. He could draw a big ticket.
- Eric Francis via twitter: Francis thinks the Flames will make a push of Prust.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: The Blue Jackets will be looking for versatile 3rd line forwards. Names to keep in mind are: Taylor Pyatt, Torrey Mitchell, Brandon Prust, Daniel Winnik, Paul Gaustad, Dominic Moore, Jay McClement. They are also looking for depth defenseman and maybe a goalie. Portzline thinks they like Jonas Gustavsson the best.
- Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press: Lawless thinks the Jets need to look at signing Jordin Tootoo.
- Tim Campbell of the Winnipeg Free Press: The Jets are about $11 million below the $54.2 million floor, but have 6 or 7 players to re-sign, including Evander Kane. They are still talking with Tanner Glass, and may have some interest in Kyle Wellwood and Mark Flood.
- Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post Dispatch: Blues RFAs T.J. Oshie and David Perron are not expected to sign a new deal by July 1st.
“I think if you look around the league, there’s probably 200 guys in the same boat,” Blues general manager Doug Armstrong said. “This isn’t something that is a concern to me at all.”
Rumors and Notes part 1: Parenteau, Price, Smyth, Weber, Brodeur, Semin, Parise, Suter, Ryan, Sarich and Biron
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: LeBrun notes that P.A. Parenteau had only 2 points less than Zach Parise, 8 more than Rick Nash, and 10 more than Bobby Ryan. Carey Price’s deal could be done soon, possibly in the 5 to 7 year range. The Oilers were scheduled to talk with Ryan Smyth side yesterday. Alex Semin and Jason Garrison’s rights could be dealt. LeBrun wonders if a team will send Shea Weber an offer sheet.
- Mark Spector via twitter: Brodeur to test the UFA market says that the Devils don’t the money to sign Zach Parise. Bryce Salvador may be looking elsewhere too.
- Chuck Gormley via twitter: Alexander Semin’s agent said they’ve had no talks with the Capitals and will test free agency.
- Dave Stubbs via twitter: Serious talks between P.K. Subban and the Montreal Canadiens should begin next week.
- Michael Russo of the Star-Tribune: Zach Parise said his agents were still talking with the Devils and it’s not guaranteed that he’ll be a free agent as of noon Sunday (EST). If Parise will hit the open market, teams will be informed of the process to go through. Ryan Suter side won’t be meeting face-to-face with teams on Sunday. They’ll take calls, but as some point there may be meeting.
- Neil Greenberg of ESPN: Greenberg thinks (using statistical analysis) that Bobby Ryan would be a better fit with the Rangers than Rick Nash.
- James Mirtle via twitter: The Flames have re-signed Corey Sarich to a 2 year deal worth $4 million.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: The Rangers and Martin Biron agreed on a 2 year deal worth $2.6 million.
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: Wade Arnott of Newport Sports said a Justin Schultz decision will likely wait until tomorrow.
- David Pagnotta via twitter: Pagnotta’s heard that the Oilers and Senators are atop the list for Schultz. Doesn’t know if the other 4 teams are out. Oilers could be front-runners.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Wayne Gretzky confirms he called Schultz as part of the Oilers push. Paul Coffey also part of it.
- David Staples via twitter: The Canucks are unwilling to offer playing time assurances to Schultz.
4 possible landing spots for Brodeur … Bernier gone only if blown away by offer … Pens cap plan … Caps targets … Avs after Parenteau?
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: Martin Brodeur’s new agent Pat Brisson to ESPN:
“He will be testing free agency if a deal is not in place by Sunday,” Brisson told ESPN.com via email Friday.
Options for Brodeur if he doesn’t re-sign with the Devils. 1. Toronto Maple Leafs – Brodeur would be a nice mentor for James Reimer and wouldn’t cost the assets or contract that Luongo would. 2. Florida Panthers – Jacob Markstrom could learn lots for Brodeur. Could gamble on Brodeur rather than go the Luongo route. 3. Tampa Bay Lightning – Anders Lindback learned from Pekka Rinne in Nashville, but insurance with Brodeur makes sense for TBay. 4. Chicago Blackhawks – Corey Crawford struggled last year, and what better tonic than his hero Brodeur.
- Steve Simmons via twitter: The Kings won’t trade Jonathan Bernier unless they are blown away by an offer. They like the security of having 2 goalies.
- Rob Rossi via twitter: Rossi heard this morning that the Penguins long-range cap plan is to have Sidney Crosby at $8.7 million and up to $9.5 million with Malkin (pending CBA) and room for an $8 million addition. The Penguins also view adding an impact forward as insurance for Crosby. Even if he can’t play, they have players to help Malkin and Neal. Don’t expect a 10 or more years on a Malkin deal even if the CBA allows those deals.
- Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington: The Capitals will have $20.8 million in cap space if they let Alexander Semin walk.
“I think we’re in pretty good shape,” McPhee said. “We have good young goalies, the dee is complete, we added a skill guy. We’ll get into [free agency] like everybody else does, but if we don’t do anything I wouldn’t be disappointed. And if there’s something there that makes sense at the right price, then we’ll do it.”
Despite having all that space, they may not use all of it now,
“But it doesn’t mean you have to use it all now,” he says. “You can use it during the season or at the [2013 trade] deadline.
“It’s expensive to use it now. If you do something, it’s always more than the guy’s worth. The question is how much more and are you trying to trade him by November because he cost too much.”
Parise and Suter will likely be too expensive. Goal scoring forwards like Shane Doan, P.A. Parenteau, Dustin Penner, Ray Whitney and Lee Stempniak would be a nice fit. A solid defenseman like Matt Carle, Jason Garrison, Michal Roszival, Bryan Allen and Bryce Salvadore would be nice as well.
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: Dater thinks the Avalanche should, and will make an offer to UFA winger P.A. Parenteau.
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: When asked if they Avs will be “active” on Sunday for the start of free agency:
“As always we are looking for ways to improve our roster, and to that end, Sunday we will be in discussion with several players’ agents.
“Lately we have agreed to terms with several of our own players and we will continue to have discussions with our own RFA’s.”
Dater thinks the Avs will try to sign 1, 2 or 3 free agents. Ryan O’Reilly deal will happen in time, they are not in a rush. Dater thinks the Avs make take a run at a Zach Parise, Ryan Suter or Alex Semin.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: The Avalanche have signed Steve Downie to a 2 year deal worth $5.3 million, $2.55 million next year and $2.75 the following year.
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: The Stars have bought out Eric Godard. He’ll have a $258,333 and $233,333 cap hit on the Stars books for the next 2 years.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Martin Brodeur has hired an agent, Pat Brisson, to represent him. He’s likely to test the free agent market. Brodeur has had limited discussions with the Devils. He could still re-sign with the Devils, but looking like he’ll check out the market.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: If Brodeur was going to stay in New Jersey, he wouldn’t have hired an agent. He hasn’t used one in a long time.
- Eric Engels via twitter: Could see teams like the Maple Leafs, Capitals, Sharks and Lightning being interested.
- Mark Everson of the NY Post: Zach Parise is not expected to re-sign with the Devils before July 1st and will listen to offers from other teams. It appears that the Devils haven’t presented Parise with any contract proposals, nor explored preliminary parameters. They may make a bid before Sunday though. The Red Wings, Kings, Rangers and Penguins will be among the suitors. The Devils have interest in re-signing their UFAs; Martin Brodeur, Bryce Salvador, Johan Hedberg, Ryan Carter, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Steve Bernier, Petr Sykora, Stephen Gionta and Peter Harrold.
- Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly: The Flyers may not get Matt Carle locked up before July 1st. Carle’s agent, Kurt Overhardt:
“We continue to talk to them but I wouldn’t be surprised if he is available on July 1. But we’re going to continue to talk to the Flyers. Just move forward accordingly.”
There were reports that he wouldn’t get to July 1st, but Dennis Wideman’s 5 year, $26.25 million deal may have changed things. Carle could now be worth $5.5 million, but the Flyers may be looking for something closer to $5 million.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: The Oilers have made their pitch for Justin Schultz. They brought Kevin Lowe, Craig MacTavish, Steve Tambellini and Taylor Hall to make the pitch. A decision may not come until today or tomorrow. He can’t sign until July 1st. He can get a salary of $925,000, including a $92,500 signing bonus, and with performance bonuses he could carry a cap hit of $3.7 million. (if signed to a max entry level deal) Bob McKenzie via twitter: McKenzie believes the Wild are on Schultz’s short list of teams. Damien Cox via twitter: The Maple Leafs are expected to meet with Schultz today.
- Ben Kuzma of the Vancouver Province: Pending UFA Jason Garrison is from BC, and would like play for the Canucks.
“Yeah, I guess time is ticking and I’m starting to realize it,” he said. “The situation in Florida isn’t over yet, but Sunday is going to come pretty quick and if nothing is done, then I’m looking forward to it. I still feel like I’m with Florida. Nothing is set in stone until July 1, but if that’s what it comes down to, I’ve got to prepare myself for that. I’m going to take a few days and make sure I’m well prepared and make sure I know what I’m getting into.”
- Eric Francis via twitter: Sources saying Olli Jokinen’s days as a Flame are over. He’ll be a UFA on July 1st. George Richards via twitter: Hearing that Jokinen could be heading back to the Islanders.
- Dan Rosen via twitter: Flames GM Jay Feaster said with the salary cap going up he doesn’t have to get rid of salary to accommodate the Dennis Wideman signing, but don’t rule out a Jay Bouwmeester trade.
Rumors and Notes: Red Wings, Nash, Price, Luongo, Carle, Garrison, Streit, Oilers, Islanders, Bernier, Brodeur, Souray and Gaustad
- Helene St. James via twitter: The Red Wings have inquired about trading for Rick Nash, but the Blue Jackets don’t want to trade him to Detroit. Wings would have to make a huge offer.
- Spector’s Hockey via twitter: (Insider trading summary) Bob McKenzie reports the Canadiens and Carey Price are close on a deal. Shorter term than Jonathan Quick, but a higher cap hit. Darren Dreger reports the Panthers are the front-runners for Roberto Luongo. The Maple Leafs are not engaged in talks with the Canucks. Pierre LeBrun believes that Matt Carle could test the free agent market, as could Jason Garrison. The Panthers may shop Garrison’s rights. Bob McKenzie via twitter: Talk is that Price’s deal could be 6 or 7 years, possibly in the $6.5 million range. Link to Insider Trading video.
- Arthur Staple via twitter: The Islanders are out of Justin Schultz sweepstakes. There is zero truth to the Mark Streit to Oilers rumors. Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Streit’s name has come up with regards to the Oilers. Radio shows are tossing his name out there. Their new coach, Ralph Kruger used to coach Streit on the Swiss national team. He’ll be 35 in November and has 1 year left on his deal. Sam Gagner may be interesting for the Islanders. Matt Carle could be a nice catch for the Oilers, but he’s similar to Tom Gilbert. Cost for Jason Garrison may be a little high.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: The Kings next move may be to trade Jonathan Bernier, who has asked to be traded. Devils, Maple Leafs and Blackhawks are possibilities. The Kings told Bernier they would look to trade him once Jonathan Quick’s contract was finalized. Dan Rosen via twitter: The Kings should keep Bernier as their backup if they want. Could look to deal him at or before the trade deadline. They don’t have to move him now.
- Tom Gulitti of the Bergon Record: Devils GM Lou Lamoriello continues to talk with Zach Parise. Things have been quiet regarding Martin Brodeur, but “there’s always communication.” It may be a matter of time before a Brodeur deal gets done. Brodeur represents himself, along with a help of lawyer, so it’s unlikely there will be any leaks. Johan Hedberg could be back next year as well.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: Sheldon Souray may be open to signing with the Blues.
- Josh Cooper of the Tennessean: The Predators still hope they are able to re-sign Paul Gaustad, though he’ll test the waters.
“Paul intends to wait until July 1st to see what options are available, but he is definitely considering Nashville’s offer to re-sign,” Gorman said.
“It would appear he’s going to free agency, but I’m holding out hope he might change his mind,” Poile said.