Free Agent Rumors: Schultz, Flyers, Red Wings, Quick, Coyotes, Huet and Stuart
- Updated: 06/19/2012
- Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer: The Flyers will take a look at free agent defenseman on July 1st to see what’s there. GM Paul Holmgren wouldn’t comment on whether they are interested in Justin Schultz as he didn’t want to be accused of tampering.
- Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer: A source said the Flyers will make inquiries about Zach Parise and Ryan Suter. He remains optimistic that he’ll get Matt Carle re-signed and now maybe lukewarm on Jaromir Jagr. Once the salary cap goes up to around $70.3 million on July 1st, Carle may be re-signed. Holmgren on James van Reimsdyk name being in trade rumors:
“He should maybe take that as a compliment _ that he keeps hearing his name like that,” Holmgren said. “I like James. I think he has a tremendous future in the league, and he’s one of our most gifted goal scorers _ and he’s 6-foot-3 or 6-4. He’s our player right now.”
- Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News: The Red Wings also can’t talk about Schultz, but they are 1 of about a dozen teams that are extremely interested. There is a belief that Schultz wants to play closer to home (British Columbia) or with former Wisconsin teammates. The Canucks, Oilers, Rangers and Maple Leafs are said to be leading candidates. Schultz did play with Red Wings defenseman Brendan Smith for 1 season.
- Curtis Zupke via twitter: LA Kings GM Dean Lombardi said that ideally he would like to get Jonathan Quick’s contract extension done before the start of training camp but the new CBA could complicate things.
- Sarah McLellan via twitter: Coyotes GM Maloney has talked to all 6 of their UFAs. Talks with Shane Doan are “positive” and “encouraging.” Sticking point with Ray Whitney is length and money. The 40 year old Whitney wants more than 1 year. Maloney has had conversations with Michal Rozsival, he’s not pursuing a KHL deal and wants to remain in the NHL. The free agent pool isn’t deep, so teams could be looking the trade route. Maloney has already started making calls.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: Former Chicago Blackhawk, Cristobal Huet is looking to return to the NHL after playing a couple seasons in the Swiss league.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Brad Stuart took less to sign with the Sharks than he could have got elsewhere. 3 year deal at $3.6 million per season.