- Mike Morreale via twitter: Brian Burke: “I’m not going to overpay to upgrade at the [goalie] position.” David Alter via twitter: Burke said they could be close on a deal. Talked with the Flyers and Predators tables on day 2. Chris Johnston via twitter: Burke on Jordan Staal: “We didn’t have a brother named Staal. That was part of the problem.” Damien Cox via twitter: To get Jordan Staal the Maple Leafs would have had to give up a good roster forward, the #5 pick and their best non-NHL defenseman prospect. They don’t have the depth yet to do that.
- Will DePaoli via twitter: Penguins GM Ray Shero expects the trade market to develop after the bigger names sign on July 1st. There is lots of activity between GMs.
- Renaud Lavoie via twitter: Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin said he’s confident that they will get a deal done with Travis Moen this week.
- Tampa Bay Lightning via twitter: Lightning GM Steve Yzerman had discussions with some teams about defenseman.
- Rich Chere via twitter: Devils GM Lou Lamoriello on if he’s had any negotiations with Zach Parise: “No, not at this point.”
- Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly: A source said this morning that the Penguins were working hard to get the rights to Ryan Suter. Though Suter has expressed interest in remaining in the Western Conference, Pens GM Ray Shero thinks he can talk him into coming to Pittsburgh. Shero drafted Suter in 2003. The Flyers have interest in Suter, but sources say he doesn’t have interest in coming to Philadelphia.
- Kevin Paul Dupont via twitter: Dupont fully expects the Bruins to have re-signed Tuukka Rask before July 1st, in the 3-5 year range.
- Eric Stephens of the OC Register: Ducks Bobby Ryan is fed up with the Ducks and wants out:
“I take things personally,” Ryan told the newspaper. “Anaheim to me has been a team over the past year that really has shown me nothing to prove that they want me here, unfortunately.
“Obviously, it’s not the ideal situation. When you get drafted, you want to win championships with that team and every time they look to add a piece to the puzzle, I’m the piece going the other way.
“I gotta be honest with you. At this point, I don’t care. Move me … because it’s just tough going to the rink every day knowing that if something goes wrong, you’re going to be the guy moved.”
“Everybody wants to play in your hometown, but it would be tough because a lot of expectations come when you’re put into a situation like that,” Ryan told the newspaper. “For me, if I’m moved, Philadelphia would be a very ideal and comfortable place for me.”
- Iain MacIntyre of the Vancouver Sun: The Maple Leafs made an unsuccessful pitch for Roberto Luongo last night.
“I don’t need a goaltender until we play the first game,” Burke told reporters. “And we are far more comfortable with the guys we have than the media seems to be. If we can upgrade at a reasonable price, we will. I don’t feel any pressure to [trade for a goalie] now.”
“We’re listening to a number of different situations,” Gillis said Friday. “I haven’t made my mind up yet on what direction we’re going to go. I think it’s more prudent to be patient and make sure we’re doing the right thing for our organization and that’s what we’re going to do.”