- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: Justin Schultz and his reps spent part of 2 days preparing.
“We’re very comfortable with relation to the process we’re going through,” veteran agent Don Meehan, who heads Newport Sports, told ESPN.com Tuesday night. “We started from scratch Tuesday in terms of due diligence and sharing all the information with Justin. We’re real comfortable with where we’re at.”
The signing process may take a couple days, possibly by the weekend. They will take calls based on a list of teams they had narrowed it down to. Since he’s signing an entry level deal, it will be more based on fit than money. LeBrun believes the front runners are the Canucks, Oilers, Rangers, Flyers, Red Wings and Maple Leafs.
- Terry Jones via twitter: Kevin Lowe and Craig Mactavish (not Steve Tambellini) are in Toronto to woo Schultz.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: If the Maple Leafs are on Schultz’s short list, look for GM Brian Burke to make the pitch.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: McKenzie expects all parties involved to be tight lipped about he process.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Guesses there are no more than 5 teams involved.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: The Blue Jackets are out of the running, not granted a face-to-face meeting.
- Ted Kulfan via twitter: The Red Wings are out of the running.
- Dan Tencer via twitter: Schultz’s Wisconsin coach, Mike Eaves, said that Schultz is similar to Jake Gardiner with a better offensive upside.