Rumors and Notes: Parise, Devils, Carle, Schultz, Garrison, Jokinen and Flames
- Updated: June 29, 2012
- Mark Everson of the NY Post: Zach Parise is not expected to re-sign with the Devils before July 1st and will listen to offers from other teams. It appears that the Devils haven’t presented Parise with any contract proposals, nor explored preliminary parameters. They may make a bid before Sunday though. The Red Wings, Kings, Rangers and Penguins will be among the suitors. The Devils have interest in re-signing their UFAs; Martin Brodeur, Bryce Salvador, Johan Hedberg, Ryan Carter, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Steve Bernier, Petr Sykora, Stephen Gionta and Peter Harrold.
- Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly: The Flyers may not get Matt Carle locked up before July 1st. Carle’s agent, Kurt Overhardt:
“We continue to talk to them but I wouldn’t be surprised if he is available on July 1. But we’re going to continue to talk to the Flyers. Just move forward accordingly.”
There were reports that he wouldn’t get to July 1st, but Dennis Wideman’s 5 year, $26.25 million deal may have changed things. Carle could now be worth $5.5 million, but the Flyers may be looking for something closer to $5 million.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: The Oilers have made their pitch for Justin Schultz. They brought Kevin Lowe, Craig MacTavish, Steve Tambellini and Taylor Hall to make the pitch. A decision may not come until today or tomorrow. He can’t sign until July 1st. He can get a salary of $925,000, including a $92,500 signing bonus, and with performance bonuses he could carry a cap hit of $3.7 million. (if signed to a max entry level deal) Bob McKenzie via twitter: McKenzie believes the Wild are on Schultz’s short list of teams. Damien Cox via twitter: The Maple Leafs are expected to meet with Schultz today.
- Ben Kuzma of the Vancouver Province: Pending UFA Jason Garrison is from BC, and would like play for the Canucks.
“Yeah, I guess time is ticking and I’m starting to realize it,” he said. “The situation in Florida isn’t over yet, but Sunday is going to come pretty quick and if nothing is done, then I’m looking forward to it. I still feel like I’m with Florida. Nothing is set in stone until July 1, but if that’s what it comes down to, I’ve got to prepare myself for that. I’m going to take a few days and make sure I’m well prepared and make sure I know what I’m getting into.”
- Eric Francis via twitter: Sources saying Olli Jokinen’s days as a Flame are over. He’ll be a UFA on July 1st. George Richards via twitter: Hearing that Jokinen could be heading back to the Islanders.
- Dan Rosen via twitter: Flames GM Jay Feaster said with the salary cap going up he doesn’t have to get rid of salary to accommodate the Dennis Wideman signing, but don’t rule out a Jay Bouwmeester trade.