- Helene St. James via twitter: The Red Wings have inquired about trading for Rick Nash, but the Blue Jackets don’t want to trade him to Detroit. Wings would have to make a huge offer.
- Spector’s Hockey via twitter: (Insider trading summary) Bob McKenzie reports the Canadiens and Carey Price are close on a deal. Shorter term than Jonathan Quick, but a higher cap hit. Darren Dreger reports the Panthers are the front-runners for Roberto Luongo. The Maple Leafs are not engaged in talks with the Canucks. Pierre LeBrun believes that Matt Carle could test the free agent market, as could Jason Garrison. The Panthers may shop Garrison’s rights. Bob McKenzie via twitter: Talk is that Price’s deal could be 6 or 7 years, possibly in the $6.5 million range. Link to Insider Trading video.
- Arthur Staple via twitter: The Islanders are out of Justin Schultz sweepstakes. There is zero truth to the Mark Streit to Oilers rumors. Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Streit’s name has come up with regards to the Oilers. Radio shows are tossing his name out there. Their new coach, Ralph Kruger used to coach Streit on the Swiss national team. He’ll be 35 in November and has 1 year left on his deal. Sam Gagner may be interesting for the Islanders. Matt Carle could be a nice catch for the Oilers, but he’s similar to Tom Gilbert. Cost for Jason Garrison may be a little high.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: The Kings next move may be to trade Jonathan Bernier, who has asked to be traded. Devils, Maple Leafs and Blackhawks are possibilities. The Kings told Bernier they would look to trade him once Jonathan Quick’s contract was finalized. Dan Rosen via twitter: The Kings should keep Bernier as their backup if they want. Could look to deal him at or before the trade deadline. They don’t have to move him now.
- Tom Gulitti of the Bergon Record: Devils GM Lou Lamoriello continues to talk with Zach Parise. Things have been quiet regarding Martin Brodeur, but “there’s always communication.” It may be a matter of time before a Brodeur deal gets done. Brodeur represents himself, along with a help of lawyer, so it’s unlikely there will be any leaks. Johan Hedberg could be back next year as well.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: Sheldon Souray may be open to signing with the Blues.
- Josh Cooper of the Tennessean: The Predators still hope they are able to re-sign Paul Gaustad, though he’ll test the waters.
“Paul intends to wait until July 1st to see what options are available, but he is definitely considering Nashville’s offer to re-sign,” Gorman said.
“It would appear he’s going to free agency, but I’m holding out hope he might change his mind,” Poile said.