- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Teams will throw big money at Zach Parise and Ryan Suter. The Blackhawks are not overly enamoured with Corey Crawford. Would teams throw more than 1 year at Martin Brodeur. Ray Whitney would like to say with the Coyotes, but like Shane Doan, is concerned about ownership. Whitney is good friends with Yzerman, and teams like the Bruins, Blackhawks and Sharks could use a guy like him.
“I’ve always said if Phoenix matches any offer, I’ll stay there. Obviously, we have a home in Carolina, but with the trade they made for (Jordan) Staal and the money they’re going to give up … I’m not looking for them,” said Whitney, who is in the catbird’s seat. “There seems to be a shortage of scoring now.”
The Stars will make a run at Doan. Ryan Suter will get the biggest push from the Red Wings and Penguins. The Wild, Sharks, Red Wings and Penguins will be in the hunt for Zach Parise. Matheson thinks Jaromir Jagr will end up back with the Flyers. 10 free agents to watch: P.A. Parenteau, Jason Garrison, Matt Carle, Bryan Allen, Alexander Semin, Jiri Hudler, Bryce Salvador, Brandon Prust, Olli Jokinen and Jordin Tootoo. Matheson thinks that Roberto Luongo will end up with the Maple Leafs for maybe Cody Franson and a prospect. The Kings could move Jonathan Bernier to the Devils. The Flames have 9 defenseman on 1 way contracts. The Blues may be interested in Jay Bouwmeester.
- Will DePaoli via twitter: Suter’s camp intends to be very patient and it’s a long shot that they will sign on July 1st.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: No deal for Ray Whitney with the Coyotes, and he’ll hit the open market.
- George Richards via twitter: Word is the Panthers are internally getting ready for the return of Roberto Luongo.
- George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press: Jiri Hudler will test out the market, but didn’t rule out the Red Wings.
“Kenny made an offer to us, I would say four to five days ago, and we left it at that point,” Svoboda said. “We didn’t close the door. Maybe we’ll be talking before July 1st. But if not, then we can talk though July 1st. Nothing done yet.”
“Obviously, there’s a difference of opinion, or we’d be working towards a deal,” Holland said this afternoon. “We like him. He did a good job for us. We’d be interested in him coming back. That’s why I made an offer. But they feel that there’s a different marketplace out there than what we’ve offered. Usually, there is.
- BD Gallof via twitter: There is more potential for Islanders trades later on than solving their issues through free agency with the market out of whack.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Portzline wonders about Ruslan Fedotenko for the Blue Jackets. He’s a UFA and is close to Vinny Prospal who has influence with the Blue Jackets these days.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Panthers Mike Santorelli and Matt Bradley both cleared waivers. Bradley can now be bought out.