Possible Islanders targets … Many plans for ‘Hawks … Preds in tough with Weber … No word from Selanne or Alfredsson
- Updated: July 1, 2012
- Arthur Staple of Newsday: The Islanders have only 4 veteran defenseman under contract heading into free agency. Devils Bryce Salvador is one player the Islanders could be interested in, though he may be too expensive for them. Matt Carkner may be more realistic for the Isles. Rangers Steve Eminger is also on their radar. Tough guys George Parros and John Scott may intrigue them. Brandon Prust is looking for more than $2.5 million, which is too much for a 3rd/4th liner. They’d like to find a 2nd line center, and there is some interest in Olli Jokinen. The Islanders may gamble on Alex Semin or possibly Brad Boyes.
- Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune: Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman:
“We’ve been spending a week going through Plans A, B, C and D,” Bowman told the Tribune. “You just can’t go ahead and say, ‘We’re going to get this guy’ because you don’t know if you’re going to get that guy. In some scenarios, we look at different positions or different styles of players. We’re going to make a lot of phone calls, I know that.”
Bowman said if it makes sense to bring in a top free agent, he wouldn’t hesitate. Maybe Martin Brodeur?
“We’re fortunate because we have a lot of guys already under contract. It doesn’t mean we won’t add players but some teams are in a different spot where they’re looking at adding four or five players. We probably aren’t going to be doing that but it doesn’t mean we’re not going to be active.”
Defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson could be moved. Blackhawks are looking for anyone to take Steve Montador who has a cap hit of $2.75 million through 2014-15. They could look to improve along the blueline and maybe in net. If they are looking to make a big splash, they’ll look at Parise, Brodeur or Suter. Alexanders Semin, Shane Doan, Jiri Hudler or P.A. Parenteau would help upfront and Matt Carle or Jason Garrison would help on the blueline.
- Chris Kuc via twitter: Stan Bowman on possibility of targeting Martin Brodeur: “I don’t rule anything in or rule anything out.”
- Dennis Bernstein via twitter: The Predators are in tough with Shea Weber and they may have no choice but to agree to his terms.
- Eric Stephens via twitter: The Ducks still haven’t received an answer from Teemu Selanne but they are still talking. Perhaps an answer (last night) or early this morning.
- Ian Mendes via twitter: The Senators will enter free agency under the assumption that Daniel Alfredsson will be returning next season.