- Ben Kuzma of the Vancouver Province: Kuzma thinks that once Roberto Luongo is moved, Al Montoya could be an option for the Canucks as their backup. Dan Ellis could also me an option, or they could go the trade route and see if the Coyotes want to move Jason LaBarbera. If the Canucks send Luongo to Florida, getting Jose Theodore back as part of the package is possible.
- Jason Botchford of the Vancouver Province: The Canucks added Jason Garrison to their blueline, but they are still looking to fill a hole at center. They may have offered Olli Jokinen a 1 year deal. The Canucks will likely go the trade route to find a center, and there hasn’t been much progress with a Luongo deal.
- Dennis Bernstein via twitter: Bernstein says that the Canucks are looking for a playmaking 3rd line center as Kesler is coming off surgery again.
- John Vogl of the Buffalo News: Sabres GM Darcy Regier:
“I expect there to be a secondary trade market after this unrestricted market,” Regier said. “We’re looking at any situation that will make us a better team. We’re not locked in. Some guys we certainly would not want to trade under any circumstances, but we’re sitting here in early July and if the opportunity to improve our team is out there, then we want to be able to take advantage of it.”
The Sabres are looking to improve up the middle as they don’t have any experience for their top lines. Cody Hodgson and Tyler Ennis are both 22. With the addition of Steve Ott, the Sabres now have 6 left wingers: Thomas Vanek, Marcus Foligno, Ott, Ville Leino, Nathan Gerbe and John Scott. Ott can take faceoffs, but is more comfortable on the wing. They also have 9 defenseman on their roster.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Portzline has been told repeatedly that Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson has NOT demanded Chris Kreider, Ryan McDonagh or Derek Stepan in trade talks with the Rangers. Portzline has been told there are lots of way the Rangers could get a deal done without incorporating those 3. McDonagh doesn’t make sense as a centerpiece. Darren Dreger via twitter: Dreger responds to Portzline by saying that the Blue Jackets should let the Rangers know that then. Multiple trade scenarios have been pitched to the Jackets by the Rangers and have been turned away.