Some intriguing UFA names left … Flyers notes … Maple Leafs top priorities … Subban – Canadiens talks ongoing
- Updated: July 8, 2012
- Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: There are really only 3 places for Canucks to trade Roberto Luongo to: the Blackahwks, Panthers and Maple Leafs no matter how long it drags out. Simmons wonders if someone will sign the 38 year old Jason Blake. Some intriguing names still out there: Peter Mueller, Wojtek Wolski, Cal O’Reilly, Chris Campoli and Alex Semin.
- Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer: The Flyers tried and failed to sign Zach Parise, Ryan Suter, Matt Carle, and Jaromir Jagr. They did sign Ruslan Fedotenko and 3rd pairing Bruno Gervais. They might still add a veteran piece or two. They are interested in Shane Doan if he becomes available. Mike Knuble could be a possibility. Rick Nash or Bobby Ryan won’t be coming to the Flyers unless the Blue Jackets and Ducks lower their demands.
- James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail: Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke’s top 3 priorities: “(a) getting bigger (b) adding a veteran goaltender and (c) adding another top two centre.” Not easy holes to fill even with $12 million in cap space. This Leafs team needs more top end talent, and to keep the puck out of their net. Mirtle thinks their top 3 priorities should be: “1. A top four (and preferably top two) defenceman. 2. Another NHL calibre goaltender. 3. A top six forward (preferably a centre) who has the ability to play against other team’s top lines.”
- Chuck Gormley via twitter: A source close to Bobby Ryan doesn’t see the Capitals in the mix.
- Dave Stubbs via twitter: Contract negotiations between P.K. Subban and the Canadiens are on going.