Should Oilers trade Gagner? Blues interested in Morrow and Doan … Kulemin gets arbitration, Franson doesn’t … Purcell signs for $4.5 million per
- Updated: July 11, 2012
- Jonathan Willis of the Edmonton Journal: It doesn’t make any sense for the Oilers to trade Sam Gagner unless they are able to get an exceptional return. He is still only 23, and is a good player even if he doesn’t improve. He has 220 points in 366 games, a 0.60 ppg pace, and puts him ahead of Valtteri Filppula, Jiri Hudler, Andrei Kostitsyn, Michael Ryder, Bryan Little and others over the same span. If they were to move him, it should be for either a better center or a high-end defenseman.
- Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post Dispatch: Blues GM Doug Armstrong acknowledged that he has been involved in trade discussions which could lead to a trade being done soon. The Blues want to add a top 4 defenseman, and he may have found a veteran forward to bring in. The Blues have interest in Stars Brenden Morrow, who is said to be available now. The Rangers, Sharks and Kings may also be calling the Stars. The Blues already have LWers in David Perron, Andy McDonald, Alex Steen (could move to center), Matt D’Agostini (Hitchcock prefers him on the right) and Jaden Schwartz (no guarantee he makes the roster next year). Morrow played in 57 games last year and missed time with neck and back issues. He has 1 year left on a 6 year, $24.6 million deal. He has a full no-trade clause. The Blues have also expressed interest in Shane Doan.
- Kevin McGrann of the Toronto Star: The Maple Leafs filed for salary arbitration for Nikolai Kulemin, but not for defenseman Cody Franson. Kulemin’s agent has had only 1 negotiating session with the Leafs since the end of the season.
“Kulemin loves the city and loves the organization a lot and would like to stay in Toronto,” said Greenstin. “But not everything is in my, and Kulemin’s, hands.
“I believe the Leafs like him, but now it’s strictly business.”
With the trade for James van Riemsdyk, Kulemin may have lost his spot on the 2nd line.
- Spector’s Hockey via twitter: Sportsnet cites a Russian report that Alexander Semin is close on a 1 year deal with the Penguins. No comment from his agent.
- Tampa Bay Lightning via twitter: Teddy Purcell has signed a contract extension for 3 years. ($4.5 million per year)
- Dave Lozo via twitter: “So the Rangers go into next season with Asham, Pyatt, Halpern and without Prust, Fedotenko, Mitchell, Gaborik (for 3 months). Yowser.”