- Andy Strickland of True Hockey: The Blues and T.J. Oshie are expected to be in Toronto today to exchange files before their Friday arbitration hearing. They are still talking in hope to avoid arbitration. Strickland thinks that David Backes $4.5 million cap hit is an internal cap. The Blues and Oshie may agree on a short term deal if a long term one can’t be worked out.
- QMI Agency in the Toronto Sun: Hockey Night in Canada’s Andi Petrillo said the Maple Leafs made an offer for Jonathan Bernier. Brian Burke has said he’s looking for a proven goalie. Earlier this month Burke said,
“We’re not looking at that avenue,” Burke told The Fan. “A couple goalies that moved are young, unproven guys. That’s an avenue were not interested in. We’ve kicked the tires, looked at all the prices, but that’s not an avenue we’re looking at.”
- James Mirtle via twitter: Mirtle would be surprised if they Leafs were that interested in Bernier after all of Burke wanting a veteran goalie talk.
- Matias Strozyk via twitter: 2 teams have shown interest in P.J. Axelsson according to his agent. The 37 year old has 1 year left on his Frolunda contract. Joe Haggerty via twitter: Confirms that 2 teams have expressed interest in Axelsson. Aaron Ward via twitter: Ward points out that Axelsson doesn’t have an “Out Clause” in his current deal that would facilitate a move.
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: Avs Ryan O’Reilly is the only player that they don’t have under contract for next year. Dater wonders if Matt Duchene’s 2 year, $7 million deal hurt O’Reilly’s leverage. Both players came up at the same time, and Duchene put up more points in their 1st 2 years, but O’Reilly had a better season last year. It wouldn’t be a big deal if they didn’t have something worked out until next month.
- David Pagnotta via twitter: While Evander Kane and the Jets are talking, there is nothing imminent.
- Matias Strozyk via twitter: Sport-Express reporting that Cal O’Reilly signed a 2 year deal with KHL’s Metallurg.