- Anthony SanFilippo of NHL.com: The Flyers are moving on from Shea Weber, and will continue to attempt to make it better.
“Now we move forward and see what we can do,” Holmgren said. “We like our team; we think it’s a good, up-and-coming young team, and we will continue to try and add to it and make it better, which is what we tried to do with the offer sheet. We’ll move forward.”
It seems unlikely that they pursue a top-end defenseman at this point, Dan Boyle or Keith Yandle are names that had been mentioned in the past.
“We tried to add, in our minds, one of the best defenseman in the game to a good, young, up-and-coming team, and it didn’t work,” Holmgren said. “But that doesn’t mean we don’t like our defense moving forward. As I said, we have a good up-and-coming young team, and we’re trying to add to it without subtracting and we’ll continue to try and do that with the mindset that we’ll do what we think is necessary to make our team as good as it can be.”
The Flyers remain interested in Shane Doan. GM Holmgren wouldn’t answer questions about Bobby Ryan.
- John Boruk via twitter: Even without Weber, the Flyers have more money committed to their defense than any other team at $28.4 million. San Jose is 2nd at $24.1 million.
- Kevin Allen of the USA Today: The Predators are trying to recruit Shane Doan.
“He is an outstanding player and outstanding person,” Predators coach Barry Trotz said of Doan. “He really would be a type of player we would want on our hockey club and we are exploring that like a lot of other teams.”
“If he is available, I know we will be high on his list because I know one of the things he’s looking for is a team with a chance to win,” Trotz said. “I’d check that off because he believes we are.”
- Maurice Patton of the Tennessean: Al Morganti (former Flyers writer for the Philadelphia Inquirer and current postgame analyst for the Flyers Comcast telecasts) on Shea Weber:
“Long term, they have a laser on this guy,” he said. “Eventually he’ll wind up here. When they target someone like that, one way or another the guy comes to town.”
- Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News: Doan’s agent Terry Bross confirmed in email a couple days ago that he’s had multiple conversations with Sabres GM Darcy Regier. At the moment, there is no visit scheduled. The Sabres have wanted Bobby Ryan for months. The Flyers would have to part with Sean Couturier or Brayden Schenn to get Ryan. The Sabres may not be interested in trading Tyler Ennis or many of their young forwards. They have a bunch of defenseman but the Ducks are looking for a forward or two.
- Will DePaoli via twitter: Shane Doan and his agent is waiting for a new information this week from Greg Jamison as they continue to wait for positive developments.