Some thoughts on Nash … 10 unresolved issues … Rangers could look at Thornton … Repik and Pickard could go to Europe
- Updated: July 30, 2012
- Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch: Portzline offers 61 thoughts on Rick Nash. Portzline thinks that Nash will play with Derek Stepan over Brad Richards.
There were instances last season, before the trade stuff started, when other NHL players were directly advising Nash to leave. One player tells The Dispatch: “I skated over to him before a faceoff and just told him ‘you have to get out of here. Put your agent to work and get it done.’” Many were surprised last February to learn that Nash had asked to be traded. From what I can glean, players around the league were only shocked that it took him so long.
Some believe it was Nash’s father that was the first to give him some wisdom just before the trade proceedings took shape. Portzline thinks that Nash will hit the 40 goal, 80 point plateau at some point.
- Kevin Allen of the USA Today: Allen lists 10 unresolved issues that could change the “balance of power” : 1. Shane Doan’s recruitment: some teams will offer him 4 years. 2. Roberto Luongo hasn’t been traded yet: the Panthers are the best fit, but they won’t give up Nick Bjugstad. 3. Bobby Ryan still could be traded: the Ducks will only deal if they are wowed by an offer. The Flyers may like to match the Rangers acquisition of Nash. 4. Lubomir Visnovsky has filed a grievance: he doesn’t think the Ducks had a right to trade him because he had a partial no-trade clause. He had previously waived it in a 2009 trade from Edmonton. 5. Useful players still available: Doan, Jason Arnott, Carlo Colaiacovo, Pavel Kubina, Petr Sykora, Brett Clark, Andrei Kostitsyn, etc. 6. Coyotes ownership isn’t finalized: it’s difficult for Coyotes GM Don Maloney to improve his team. 7. The 2013 free agent class might feel pressure to sign now: there may be restrictions on contract length or a new way to calculate salary cap with the new CBA. 8. Predators still looking for defenseman: GM David Poile is still looking at trade options. Jay Bouwmeester’s name has come up, but he has a no-trade clause. 9. Red Wings pondering a defensive move: they want to give Brendan Smith and Jakub Kindl an opportunity to play, and they won’t overpay just to add someone. But they have to look at trade options to add a veteran Dman. 10. Feels like Toronto will make another move: Burke could go after a goalie or more size and grit.
- Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe: Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli on Tuukka Rask’s one year deal, “We tried to go longer in term, but . . . ’’ Dupont says not to be surprised if the Rangers look to Joe Thornton. Thornton and Rick Nash played well together during the lockout and with Team Canada at the Olympics.
- George Richards via twitter: Richards believes that Michal Repik will be playing in Europe this year.
- Corey Pronman via twitter: Former 1st round pick of the Predators, goalie Chet Pickard is talking with a SEL team.