- Adam Gretz of CBS Sports: Gretz lists 5 free agents not named Shane Doan that may be worth signing: Brian Rolston, Carlo Colaiacovo, Jason Arnott, Dominic Moore and Petr Sykora.
- Lyle Richardson in the Hockey News: The Predators, Flyers and Red Wings are among the teams looking for help on the blueline. Tim Panaccio suggested the Flyers contact the Sharks about Dan Boyle or Douglas Murray, or the Canadiens about P.K. Subban. Boyle has only a modified no-trade clause now. Murray will be a UFA following the season. Subban’s contract talks are ongoing, but there is no indication they would consider moving him. The Red Wings have about $13 million in cap space. George Sipple suggested free agents Michal Rozsival, Brett Clark and Carlo Colaiacovo.
- Josh Koshman of the NY Post: The Post has learned that New Jersey Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek is still about $20 million short for his overdue loans, and there is only a week to go. Creditors are “poised to pounce” on August 14th, and he could lose control of the team.
“He had worked out a deal to raise a certain amount and has not been able to do that,” a source said.
Vanderbeek has been negotiating with lenders and the NHL to remain in control even if he can’t raise the money. Last September Vanderbeek missed an $80 million repayment. He then promised lenders he’d have $40 million by August 14th.
- Ryan Lambert of Yahoo! Sports: There is no doubt the Canucks would like to move Roberto Luongo,
But the longer this summer rolls on, the stranger the scenario seems to be. Back in June, there were several teams mentioned in connection with Luongo’s services, but that number has slowly been whittled away to just one: Florida. And yet there seems to be less movement now than there was even into July. We’re now past 100 days of this saga.
Canucks GM Mike Gillis can sit back and wait for the Panthers to come to him. The Canucks could finish 1st in the Western Conference with or without Luongo. The Panthers may not be in need of a goaltender, as they have Jose Theodore and Scott Clemmensen, but other teams in their division have improved. Panthers GM Dale Tallon may love what prospect Nick Bjugstad brings the organization, but does he want to improve their chances of making the playoffs again?
- Corey Masisak of NHL.com: Capitals coach Adam Oates:
“When you look at the Finals this year, you saw two teams that were basically in-your-face teams, all over the ice,” Oates said. “I really feel the game today is territory. You have to establish territory and protect it. I look at the Caps lineup and the talent level and I don’t see any reason why we can’t push the pace and be an aggressive team but at the same time not sacrificing defense. It requires commitment all over the ice.”
Mike Ribeiro was the Capitals lone marquee addition. The Capitals need to replace Alexander Semin and to a lesser extent, Mike Knuble. They need a better season from Alexander Ovechkin and a healthy season for Nicklas Backstrom and Mike Green.
- Josh Yohe via twitter: Yohe would be surprised if Shane Doan signed with the Penguins.