- Sarah Baicker of CSN Philly: Flyers defenseman Andrej Meszaros underwent surgery to repair a torn right Achilles tendon, and is out indefinitely. According to GM Paul Holmgren,
“Andrej was injured last week during summer training in Slovakia. Andrej will be out indefinitely.”
Typical recovery can be 6 to 8 months or more.
- Dustin Leed via twitter: Interesting note from Holmgren was that the injury occurred last week and he’s already had the surgery.
- Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly: For all practical purposes, Meszaros is done for the season. If he’s out the full 8 months, he’d be eligible for the playoffs. Will the Flyers now go the trade or free agent route? Could they look at Dan Boyle? Free agent options could be Michal Rozsival, Carlo Colaiacovo, Chris Campoli and Jaroslav Spacek.
- Dustin Leed via twitter: Leed wonders if Lubomir Visnokvsky could be an option if his trade to the Islanders is voided.
- Sam Carchidi via twitter: Carchidi thinks that Luke Schenn now moves up to the 2nd pairing, with Bruno Gervais and one of the kids on the 3rd pairing. Andreas Lilja as the extra defenseman.
- Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly: GM Holmgren,
“I think we’ll have a better idea after six weeks once we see how things are progressing …”
Travis Zajac tore his Achilles last August, tried to come back in December before re-injuring himself. He wasn’t healthy until March, 7 months later.
“We got young kids we like,” Holmgren said. “Marc-Andre Bourdon played a lot of games for us last year. Erik Gustafsson played a fair amount. Brandon Manning got his feet wet. So we do have people we like. And we have four guys with a lot of experience ahead of them. So, we’ll see where it goes.”