Morning notes on: Skinner, Doan, Sharks, Holmstrom, O’Reilly, Visnovsky, Huet, Mezsaros and another Toronto arena
- Updated: August 8, 2012
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Jeff Skinner’s contract extension with the Carolina Hurricanes is expected to be 6 years with an average of $5.725 million.
- Will DePaoli of Inside Pittsburgh Sports: Many teams are holding pat on the trade front as they are waiting until the CBA is in place. DePaoli confirmed last week that the Penguins, Canucks and Rangers were on Shane Doan 4 team short list. A source said on Monday that the Kings and Red Wings did not make the list. He’s never believed to have interest in the Sabres or Canadiens.
- Jeff Skversky via twitter: Doan’s agent tells ‘Action News on 6abc’ that the Flyers are still in the mix for Doan.
- Josh Cooper of the Tennessean: Shane Doan has allegedly said that the Predators are on his “short list” of teams. Predators GM David Poile said last week that they are interested in him.
- David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News: A source said that once Doan started looking for a 4 year deal, the Sharks bowed out. The way Pollak sees the Sharks lines: Forwards:Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski, Clowe-Couture-Havlat or Wingels, Galiardi-Handzus-Wingels or Havlat, Mashinter or McClaren or McCarthy-Desjardins-Burish. Defensive Pairings: Boyle-Vlasic, Stuart-Burns, Murray-Braun or Demers. Goalies: Niemi, Greiss.
- Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News: Training camp is 6 weeks away, and the Red Wings still don’t have a decision on Tomas Holmstrom.
“We remain in contact,” general manager Ken Holland said. “We expect Homer to make a decision before the end of the month.”
The Wings and Justin Abdelkader (RFA) are still working on a new contract. Tomas Jurco signed a 3 year entry-level deal.
- Mike Chambers of the Denver Post: There is nothing new to report regarding the Avalanche and Ryan O’Reilly contract talks. Chambers expects something similar to Matt Duchene’s 2 year, $7 million deal, but O’Reilly could be looking for longer term and less annual money.
- The Fourth Period: According to an Arthur Staple of Newsday tweet, there hasn’t been a date set for Lubomir Visnovsky’s trade grievance hearing yet. He was traded at the NHL draft, and filed the grievance on July 23rd. He is saying they ignored is no-trade clause. A hearing may not take place until the CBA negotiations are concluded.
- Matias Strozuk via twitter: Goalie Cristobal Huet has had some contact with the Canucks and Kings.
- Jim Jamieson of the Vancouver Province: Huet’s agent, Stephen Bartlett,
“I haven’t had any substantive discussions with Vancouver about Huet specifically,” Bartlett told The Province on Tuesday. “I probably sent out a memo to all teams, including them.
“We’ve been trying to talk to every team. I haven’t had any specific discussions with Vancouver about him, just in general identifying teams that may or may not be in a position to look for goaltending, Vancouver being one of them. It’s depending on what happens with (Roberto) Luongo.”
- Jason Kay via twitter: A site plan application for another NHL sized arena in the Toronto will be submitted today. Building permits may be given by fall.