Flames lease close to expiring … 6 Predators and Hurricanes questions … Lilja out … Klefbom not ready … Horton cleared
- Updated: August 13, 2012
- Tamara Gignac of the Calgary Herald: The Flames lease at the Scotiabank Saddledome expires in 2014 and the Flames would like a modern building to enable them to compete financially with other NHL teams. They are being tight-lipped about when or where they could break new ground. The Flames can extend their lease until a new arena is built.
“We certainly won’t be ready to move by 2014,” King said.
“If we dropped the flag and started building today, I don’t think we’d meet the deadline. We have an arrangement to be here as long or frankly, as short, as required.”
- Brian Compton of NHL.com: 6 questions facing the Predators heading into this season. 1. Can the Predators overcome the loss of Ryan Suter? 2. Can anyone on this roster score 30 goals? 3. Can Pekka Rinne duplicate his success? 4. Is this the year Mattias Ekholm makes an impact? 5. Is Colin Wilson ready to take the next step? 6. Can the Predators reach 100 points again?
- Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly: The Flyers confirmed that defenseman Andreas Lilja had a hip injury and will miss the start of the season. Lilja told a Swedish newspaper that he might be out until December, but GM Paul Holmgren doesn’t agree.
“He did have surgery [and] should be back late October or early November,” Holmgren texted CSNPhilly.com on Sunday afternoon.
- Mike Morreale of NHL.com: 6 questions facing the Carolina Hurricanes. 1. How will coach Kirk Muller use Jordan Staal? 2. Where does Alexander Semin fit in? – they could have Eric Staal center Semin and Chad LaRose, Jordan Staal centering Jeff Skinner and Jussi Jokinen. Tuomo Ruutu centering Jiri Tlusty and Patrick Dwyer. 3. Do the acquisitions of Staal and Semin make Carolina a Cup contender? 4. How will Muller fare in his first full season behind the bench? 5. Do the Hurricanes have enough depth on defense? 6. Who will serve as Cam Ward’s backup?
- Josh Yohe via twitter: If the Penguins have any interest in the Ducks Bobby Ryan, now might be the time to make a move as the Flyers may have to concentrate on defensemen.
- Dan Tencer via twitter: Oilers prospect Oscar Klefbom to NHL.com: “Edmonton wants me to come over and try but I don’t want to come over and feel like I’m not ready.”
- Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe: Nothing new on Tim Thomas. Another team may look at him to reach the salary floor depending on the new CBA. Nathan Horton has been cleared to resume full contact once training camp opens.