Trade and free agent notes: Umberger, Filppula, Kulikov, Hartnell and Blues questions
- Updated: August 21, 2012
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Portzline clears the air regarding the rumor that RJ Umberger asking for a trade out of Columbus, “Don’t be ridiculous. No truth.”
- Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: Red Wings Valtteri Filppula (28) had a breakthrough season last year. He had 66 points and was integral on both the power play and penalty kill. His age and talent make him a “prime-rate trade asset.” The Wings would have to consider that Pavel Datsyuk, who is 34, has only 2 years left on his deal and they don’t know if he’ll stay or head back to Russia. Filppula will cash in on his next contract, he’s in the last year of a 5 year, $15 million deal.
- George Richards of the Miami Herald: Panthers assistant GM Mike Santos said yesterday that they haven’t had much conversation with RFA Dmitry Kulikov, but there is no need to worry as it will get done.
- Renaud Lavoie via twitter: Scott Hartnell’s new 6 year deal contains a no movement clause.
- Dave Lozo of NHL.com: 6 questions that could affect the Blues: 1. How will Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott co-exist this season? 2. How will Vladimir Tarsenko assimilate himself with the Blues? 3. Can Chris Stewart have a bounce-back season? 4. Was last year a fluke or a harbinger of things to come? 5. Where will the offense come from this season? 6. Can Alex Pietrangelo win the Norris Trophy?