No talks scheduled, but both sides say they are willing to meet … Escrow checks in the mail
- Updated: October 31, 2012
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Don Fehr to players: “at every op we have contd to state we are ready to meet + willing to discuss all open issues,incl owners’ last offer. Nonetheless, to date, their group has declined to commit to a mtng unless it can dictate what the agenda is.”
- Katie Strang of ESPN: Bill Daly said yesterday that no talks are scheduled but the league is willing to meet.
“No new news. We withdrew our most recent proposal on Friday, and now we are spending time thinking about our next proposal and how best to get closer to a resolution,” Daly said by email. “We hope the union is doing the same thing. Given the fact that the union refused even to discuss our last proposal, it would appear that we still have a large gulf to bridge.”
Don Fehr denied that the NHLPA is unwilling to play ball,
“Since the last bargaining meeting on Oct. 18, we have consistently made it clear to the League that we are ready to meet and are willing to discuss all ideas, certainly including their last proposal,” he told ESPN.com. “The league has unfortunately continued to decline to meet. Their position makes it difficult to move the process forward, as it is obviously hard to make progress without talking.”
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: Bill Daly and Steve Fehr spoke over the phone yesterday, no bargaining sessions scheduled.
- Chris Johnston via twitter: Players are about miss another pay period, but escrow checks are in the mail.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: The NHL and NHLPA say there have been no substantive realignment talks during negotiations.
- Joe Haggerty of CSNNE: Haggerty wonders if it’s time for Gary Bettman and Don Fehr to step away from talks. Several sources have said in recent weeks, “the players want Bettman’s head.”