Fire up the Luongo rumors again … Sharks could be in cap crunch … Bryzgalov leaves KHL … Briere injures wrist
- Updated: December 31, 2012
- Ben Kuzma of the Vancouver Pronvince: If the season starts on January 19th, and even with a $70.2 million salary cap, the Canucks may be better served to move Roberto Luongo. The Canucks need a third line center, depth on the blueline, and a backup goalie. The Toronto Maple Leafs remain the top landing spot for Luongo. Kuzma would target Tyler Bozak and RFA defenseman Cody Franson. Bozak is in the last year of his deal and has a $1.5 million salary. Franson made $800,000 last year and is currently playing in the Swedish Elite League. The Canucks would then need to find a backup a goalie. Eddie Lack should finish the season in the AHL. There are about a half dozen, affordable veteran options out there. Dan Ellis should get some consideration. Barry Brust and Marty Turco could be two other free agent options.
- Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area: If there is a $60 million salary cap ceiling next season, it could mean a large escrow payment for the players. Players who would be UFA’s in 2013 may not have a lot of options. The Sharks currently have 14 players under contract for next year at $54 million. That would leave them $6 million for 9 players. One player who is not signed past this season is Ryane Clowe. Clowe will make $4 million this season, and they would like to re-sign him, but getting him at a reduced number would be difficult. Defenseman Jason Demers will be a RFA at the end of the season. If Patrick Marleau struggles for the next four months, like he did in the 2nd half 2012-13, the Sharks may look at buying his $6.9 million salary out. Martin Havlat could be another option as he’s set to make $5 million through 2014-15.
- Dave Issac of the Courier Post: According to Sportbox.ru via google translate, Ilya Bryzgalov has broke his contract with CSKA, and is leaving the team.
- CSN Philly: Flyers Daniel Briere injured his wrist on Friday and is expected to miss 2 to 3 weeks.
- David Pollak via twitter: Torrey Mitchell could join the SF Bulls of the ECHL today, waiting for league approval.