- Free Agents
- 2013 Top 30 NHL Free Agents
- 2013 UFA Centers
- 2013 UFA Defensemen
- 2013 UFA Goalies
- 2013 UFA Left Wingers
- 2013 UFA Right Wingers
- Anaheim Ducks
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Calgary Flames
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Dallas Stars
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers
- Florida Panthers
- Los Angeles Kings
- Minnesota Wild
- Montreal Canadiens
- Nashville Predators
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Ottawa Senators
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- San Jose Sharks
- St. Louis Blues
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Vancouver Canucks
- Washington Capitals
- Winnipeg Jets
Archive for January, 2013
The Washington Capitals have traded center Zach Hamill to the Florida Panthers for center/right winger Casey Wellman.
Hamill was drafted in the 1st round, 8th overall in the 2007 NHL draft. He carries a $700,000 salary and cap hit.
Wellman was not drafted and carries a $800,000 salary and cap hit.
Boychuk and McLaren claimed off waivers … Dvorak to Davos … Jovo out weekend … Brown has shoulder strain … Henrique back
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: The Penguins claimed Zach Boychuk off waivers from the Hurricanes.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: The Maple Leafs claimed Frazer McLaren off waivers from the Sharks.
- Matias Strozyk via twitter: Radek Dvorak signed with Davos in Switzerland.
- Arthur Staple via twitter: Eric Bouton will be in for the suspended Colin McDonald. Casey Cizikas starts on right wing with Ullstrom and Aucoin.
- George Richards via twitter: Panthers Ed Jovanovksi is out until at least Tuesday. There is no structural damage to his knee.
- James Mirtle via twitter: Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle said that Mike Brown will be out a minimum of 7 days with a shoulder strain. Defenseman Mike Komisarek will remain out.
- Stephen Whyno via twitter: Capitals Brooks Laich (groin) skated with the team for the first time this year. Laich: ”As far as a timeline I can’t really tell you. I don’t have an exact date. But getting closer and closer every day.”
- Rich Chere via twitter: Adam Henrique could be back in the Devils lineup tonight.
Lines and Starting goalies: Flyers, Penguins, Stars, Capitals, Islanders, Devils, Blues, Avalanche, Maple Leafs
- Sam Carchidi via twitter: Flyers lines: Briere-G-Simmonds; Read-Couts-Knuble; McGinn-Schenn-Vor; Fed-Talb-Rinaldo.
- Dave Molinari via twitter: Penguins lines: Tangradi-Crosby-Dupuis, Jeffrey-Malkin-Neal, Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy, Glass-Vitale-Adams.
- Mark Stepneski via twitter: Stars lines: Eriksson-Benn-Jagr; Whitney-Eakin-Ryder; Nystrom-Fiddler-Vincour; Morrow-Roussel-Garbutt. Defensive pairings: Dillon-Robidas; Rome-Daley; Oleksiak-Goligoski; Benn-Larsen.
- Stephen Whyno via twitter: Capitals lines: Ovechkin-Beagle-Crabb, Wolski-Backstrom-Brouwer, Chimera-Ribeiro-Ward, Hendricks-MJ90/Perreault-Fehr.
- Arthur Staple via twitter: Evgeni Nabokov will start in net for the Islanders tonight.
- Rich Chere via twitter: Martin Brodeur will start in net for the Devils tonight.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: Brian Elliott will start for the Blues [today] and Jaroslav Halak will start on Friday.
- Adrian Dater via twitter: Pretty sure that J.S. Giguere will start in net for the Avalanche [today] against the Flames.
- James Mirtle via twitter: Michal Neuvirth will start in net for the Capitals.
- James Mirtle via twitter: James Reimer will start in for the Maple Leafs against the Capitals.
- Dave Molinari via twitter: Tomas Vokoun was the first goalie off the ice for the Penguins and likely starter.
- Adrian Dater via twitter: Lots of teams calling the Avalanche about Ryan O’Reilly, but the Avs are saying they are not dealing him.
- Dennis Bernstein via twitter: LA Kings forward Andrei Loktionov has requested a trade. Craig Custance via twitter: Teams have know about Loktionov availability, and there currently isn’t much interest in him.
- Will DePaoli via twitter: Sources are saying that Islanders are getting calls on 35 year old defenseman Mark Streit, despite the Islanders being 3-2-1 so far. The Flyers and Rangers will have significant interest. Streit will be a UFA at the end of the season.
- Jason Botchford via twitter: Roberto Luongo to Damien Cox after last night’s game: ”are you here scouting for the leafs?”
Injury notes: Callahan, Spezza, Smith, Lombardi, Atkinson, Baertschi, Kaleta, Landeskog, Burns, Henrique and Mitchell
- New York Rangers via twitter: Rangers are saying that Ryan Callahan has a shoulder subluxation and will be out for 10 to 14 days.
- Nick Kypreos via twitter: Senators Jason Spezza missed his 2nd consecutive game last night, and there is a growing concern that it could be back issues that are keeping him out. UPDATE: Bruce Garrioch via twitter: The Senators have called a media availability for 11 AM this morning for Bryan Murray to update Jason Spezza’s injury status.
- Sarah McLellan via twitter: Coyotes Mike Smith is day-to-day and not able to come off the IR until Friday. Matthew Lombardi is out for at least a month. Dave Vest via twitter: Coyotes coach Dave Tippett on Mike Smith: ”I’d be surprised if he’s not ready by the weekend.” Sarah McLellan via twitter: Tippet added that everyone other than Smith is a “a bit of a mystery.” Smith could play one game this weekend, maybe both.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Blue Jackets right winger Cam Atkinson will be out 2 to 3 weeks with a high-ankle sprain.
- Wes Gilbertson via twitter: Flames coach Bob Hartley said that Sven Baertschi is “very doubtful” for [today] with a lower-body injury.
- John Vogl via twitter: The Sabres announced that Patrick Kaleta was released from hospital [yesterday] and is not travelling with the team to Boston.
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: Avalanche Gabriel Landeskog remains out with head and leg injuries. He didn’t skate yesterday, but was at the arena for medical treatment. There is no timetable for his return, and will be evaluated on a daily basis.
- Kevin Kurz via twitter: Sharks defenseman Brent Burns is skating, but there is no timetable for his return.
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: The Devils putting Cam Janssen on waivers yesterday gives them an extra roster spot.
“Adam Henrique is day to day and it just gives us some flexibility,” Lamoriello said.
- Helene Elliott of the LA Times: Kings defenseman Willie Mitchell was medically cleared last week, and he had an MRI on Monday to gauge the progress.
“There was no structural damage and no setback,” General Manager Dean Lombardi said Tuesday.
- Helen St. James via twitter: St. James thinks that Todd Bertuzzi could be considering wearing a visor after he was hit just below his left eye on Tuesday. He played the 3rd period with a ‘swollen socket.’
“Wearing a visor might be a good thing,” coach Mike Babcock said. “I hate to see that happen to a guy — it’d change your life forever. That’s part of the game, but a visor would fix that.”
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: Regarding Phoenix Coyotes situation: “Thursday is not a deadline for Jamison to close his deal with NHL. It’s a deadline to keep current terms of lease agreement with city of Glendale. If Jamison doesn’t come up with money to buy team by Thurs deadline, lease terms could change. But it doesn’t mean NHL is done with him. It will likely give him more time and see how it all shakes out… I’m not convinced Jamison will have the money in order by Thursday… But it’s certainly possible. Either way, story doesn’t end tomorrow. I fear there will be more twists and turns in this story over next several weeks. Should also add on Phoenix, if Jamison can’t close by tomorrow, opens the door for other possible owners to deal with Glendale or NHL. Which is why I’m saying still a lot of scenarios to be played out in the Desert… Unless of course, Jamison comes up with the $$$ asap.”
- David Pagnotta via twitter: The Sharks announced that Hasso Plattner (majority owner) bought the SSE shares that were held by investors Kevin Compton and Stratton Sclavos.
- Rich Chere via twitter: Devils GM Lou Lamoriello on whether Matteau will get into his 6th game [tonight]: “That’s not a decision that’s been made yet.” Tom Guliteti via twitter: Lou on Matteau: “We’re going to continue evaluating this and a decision won’t be made at this point.”
- Corey Pronman via twitter: The Maple Leafs send Jake Gardiner to the Marlies.
The NHL has suspended New York Islanders winger Colin McDonald for 2 games for boarding Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Ben Lovejoy last night.
The “Key Points” for the suspension were that it was boarding, no apparent injury and no history.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Yann Danis clears waivers. The Hurricanes put Zach Boychuk on waivers. The Sharks put Frazer McLaren on waivers. The Devils put Cam Janssen on waivers.
- New York Rangers via twitter: Ryan Callahan will have a MRI this afternoon on his shoulder.
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: Senators Jason Spezza didn’t practice this morning. Ian Mendes via twitter: Coach MacLean on if Spezza could miss an extended period of time: ”We’re waiting on the evaluation. We don’t know.” Renaud Lavoie via twitter: Spezza won’t play. Craig Anderson will start in net.
- Wayne Scanlan via twitter: P.K. Subban is skating with teammates at an optional practice, but not expected to play against the Senators. Ian Mendes via twitter: Subban said there was no timetable for his return to the lineup. Would like to get in some practices with the team first.
- Jonas Siegel via twitter: Clarke MacArthur is getting closer. Mike Komisarek is available. Mike Brown has a shoulder injury. Colton Orr. Chris Johnston via twitter: Komisarek smashed his stick on the boards in frustration yesterday and got a piece stuck in his eye.
- Kevin McGran via twitter: Maple Leafs lines: JVR-Bozak-Kessel; McC-Grab-Kule; Frattin-Kadri-Komarov; MacArthur-Steckel (No Orr, Brown). All D present.
- Pittsburgh Penguins via twitter: Penguins lines: Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis Jeffrey-Malkin-Neal Cooke-Sutter-Glass Adams-Vitale-Kennedy (Tangradi) 7 D rotating.
- Andrew Gross via twitter: Rangers lines: Nash-Richards-Gaborik Hagelin-Stepan-Pyatt Rupp-Boyle-Ferriero Bickel-Halpern-Asham.
- Brian Hamilton via twitter: Corey Crawford will start in net for the Blackhawks against the Wild.
- Renaud Lavoie via twitter: Peter Budaj will start in net for the Canadiens against the Senators.
Islanders Colin McDonald received a boarding major for his hit on Penguins Ben Lovejoy.
- Arthur Staple via twitter: McDonald will have a hearing this morning with Brendan Shanahan.
I think it’s safe to say that McDonald will be suspended, so the question becomes, how many games should he get?
- Jim Jamieson of the Vancouver Province: Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman said that with Eddie Lack being out six months, that it won’t have any impact on the Roberto Luongo trade talk. The Canucks will likely now have to get a backup in the trade, or find a free agent. Lack is expected to be Cory Schneider’s backup next season.
- The Fourth Period: The Canadiens wouldn’t mind adding a top 6 winger, and could offer up a blueliner to get one. The Wings, Kings, Senators, Wild, Oilers and Hurricanes are teams said to be looking for a defenseman. The Penguins, Flames, Devils and Sabres are also said to be offering up defensemen. Yannick Weber could find himself as the odd man out on the Canadiens blueline.
- Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer: Carchidi wonders if Flyers GM Paul Holmgren will be patient and wait for Scott Hartnell’s return in four or five weeks, or will he go after a sniper like Ducks Bobby Ryan? The next two weeks will determine how they proceed. A 48 game schedule doesn’t allow you to wait too long.
- Elliotte Friedman of CBC: The Avalanche may be looking for a forward with Ryan O’Reilly still unsigned, Steve Downie out for season and Gabriel Landeskog status uncertain. One GM said on an offer sheet: ”If Nashville is going to match that offer to Shea Weber, what the [bleep's] the point of doing one?” Capitals GM George McPhee on Saturday: ”We are not looking for help. We’re in no rush to move anybody.” Pierre LeBrun reported that Kings may part with Jonathan Bernier under the right circumstances. ESPNs Craig Custance reported that some teams have interest in Brent Sopel who is playing in the KHL. He’d have to clear waivers first if a team signed him. Friedman thinks that Phil Kessel is perfectly suited to play in Toronto. He doesn’t pay attention to the newspapers, sports radio, etc.
- Nick Cotsonika via twitter: Greg Jamison will reportedly close the deal to buy the Phoenix Coyotes before Thursday’s deadline.
- Elliotte Friedman via twitter: Former NHLPA executive director, Paul Kelly, told [Markham] city council that the NHL had discussed expanding the NHL to 32 teams with him.
- Brendan Savage of MLive: Red Wings owners, the Ilitch family, have privately suggested a new arena in Detroit that is owned by the state of Michigan. A $650 million multipurpose arena was proposed last year.
“While the discussion in November was linked to ownership of the venue, nothing has been disclosed on how construction would be funded or by whom,” said the story written by Bill Shea. ”Sports arena financing deals often are a blend of tax dollars and private money, and the Ilitches have stated publicly that their intention is to make a “substantial investment” in what they want to be a public-private partnership.
“The fund, which can sell low-interest bonds for projects, is an autonomous board within the quasi-public MEDC and was created in 1984 to promote economic development. The fund owns the Cadillac Place office building in Detroit’s New Center area and the Michigan House of Representatives Building (Anderson Office Building) in downtown Lansing, the MEDC said.”
Injury notes: Niskanen, Joensuu, Burns, Lack, Kaleta, Callahan and Brown … Sceviour to AHL … Danis to waivers
- Seth Rorabaugh via twitter: Penguins Matt Niskanen is out 2 to 4 weeks with a lower-body injury.
- NY Islanders via twitter: Islanders Jesse Joensuu will be out 5 to 7 weeks after having surgery on a sports hernia.
- David Pollak via twitter: Sharks defenseman Brent Burns doesn’t seem close to returning. When asked if encouraged by progress, Burns said ”I wouldn’t use that word.”
- Brad Ziemer via twitter: Canucks goalie Eddie Lack is out 6 months after having hip surgery.
- Mike Harrington via twitter: Sabres Patrick Kaleta left last night’s game with an upper-body injury.
- Katie Strang via twitter: Rangers Ryan Callahan dropped the gloves with Max Talbot, then left the ice hunched over favoring his left shoulder/arm.
- David Alter via twitter: Maple Leafs winger Mike Brown sustained an upper-body injury last night.
- Mark Stepneski via twitter: The Stars have assigned Colton Sceviour to the AHL.
- Elliotte Friedman via twitter: The Oilers put Yann Danis on waivers.
- Will DePaoli via twitter: The Penguins are said to be impressed with how defenseman Tom Kostopoulos last weekend. There haven’t been talks yet about a two-way contract.