Player notes involving: Luongo rumors, Selanne, Thomas, O’Reilly, Kesler, Lack, Moore and Holmstrom … Datsyuk shootout goal
- Updated: January 7, 2013
- TSN Video link: Roberto Luongo talks about the Lockout and possibility of being traded. Bob McKenzie said there is not a deal in place to trade Roberto Loungo to the Maple Leafs, but the Leafs are interested. It could take Tyler Bozak, a pick and player for the Leafs to get Luongo. Luongo may not want to go to Toronto. The Leafs will explorer other options as well. Jonathan Bernier could be available. Pang mentions that the Panthers would be interested, budget may be a concern. (If someone from TSN reads this, please enable the ‘embed’ option on your videos.)
- The Fourth Period: The Canucks will continue to look at trading Luongo. The Maple Leafs, Blackhawks, Panthers and Oilers had been rumored to be interested before the lockout. It’s believed that the Canucks are reluctant to trade him to the Oilers or Blackhawks. Maple Leaf players that have been mentioned as possibly being included in some sort of package are: Tyler Bozak, Nikolai Kulemin, Tim Connolly, Carl Gunnarsson, Mike Komisarek, Cody Franson, Nazem Kadri and Tyler Biggs. Luongo’s preference has been to play in Florida, but the Panthers haven’t been willing to part with what the Canucks want in return.
- Eric Macramalla via twitter: Teams will explore the idea of trading players to cap hungry teams to avoid the buyout cost.
- Eric Stephens via twitter: Teemu Selanne said he hasn’t decided on whether this will be his last year and only worried “here and there” about his NHL career being over because of the lockout. Selanne: “Either way, I would be a happy camper. But obviously, of course, you always want to play your last game.”
- Toronto Sun: Bob McKenzie tweeted yesterday that Tim Thomas still doesn’t plan on playing this year: “As of now, subject to usual ‘could change mind later’ qualifiers, Tim Thomas is not interested in ending his self-imposed hockey exile.” McKenzie added that Thomas has no intention of fulfilling the final year of his 4 year, $20 million deal. The Bruins will be on the hook for his $5 million cap hit as he signed his contract after he was 35.
- Adrian Dater via twitter: The Avalanche are not able to negotiate with Ryan O’Reilly yet. Ratification from the league is needed before teams can negotiate.
- TSN: There is still no timetable for Canucks Ryan Kesler to return.
“Our goal for Ryan is that he’s able to play the next 10 years, not the next two months,” Kesler’s agent Kurt Overhardt said. “We are working with the club closely on his recovery and we are all on the same page.”
- Dan Murphy via twitter: Canucks Eddie Lack is still out with a groin injury he suffered on November 27th. He is expected to meet with Canucks doctors soon.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Blue Jackets defenseman John Moore had been out with a concussion. He has been cleared to resume skating and could be ready for the start of the season.
- Ansar Khan of MLive: Red Wings Tomas Holmstrom is expected to announce his retirement soon. He has already told the Wings, but they did not want to announce it during the lockout.
- Dave Molinari via twitter: Though not official, it may be unlikely that the Penguins invite any junior players to camp as there are no jobs open for them.
- Pavel Datsyuk amazing shootout goal.