Flames to talk to Iginla … O’Reilly waiting in Russia … Might be the end for some … Hecht signs with Sabres
- Updated: January 11, 2013
- Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun: Flames captain Jarome Iginla is in the last year of his 5 year, $35 million deal, and GM Jay Feaster won’t waste any time addressing the situation.
“We determined internally the first day of camp we’re going to address that right off the hop and ask Jarome to do the same,” said Flames GM Jay Feaster.
“We want to make sure everybody (in the media) is there, address it all at that time, and then neither party will talk about it again. Will that stop questions in Detroit and Colorado about it? No, but in saying that, it gives Jarome the ability to say he’s sorry but he already addressed it and won’t talk about it.”
“Jarome has a contract. Donnie and I will sit down and proceed to see if we can get something done. In the meantime, we have a season to get ready for.”
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: RFA Ryan O’Reilly will remain with Magnitigorsk of the KHL until he receives an offer from the Avalanche.
- Mike Chambers via twitter: Ryan O’Reilly’s agent Mark Guy: “All that I can say at this time is that we are having ongoing discussions.”
- Mike Chambers of the Denver Post: One source is saying that O’Reilly is looking for a 5 year deal and the Avalanche are only offering 3 years.
- Gary Lawless via twitter: Eric Fehr is on his way to Winnipeg, but not to join the jets. He’s still looking for a job, and if he can’t find one in the NHL, he’ll head back to Finland.
- Michael Russo of the Star-Tribune: There are more than 50 players that are unsigned, and most may not play again, including Andrew Brunette and Brian Rolston. Other players whose careers may be over: Jason Blake, Mike Knuble, Jason Arnott, Brendan Morrison, Dwayne Roloson and Sean O’Donnell.
- Mike Harrington via twitter: German web sites are saying that the Sabres have signed Jochen Hecht to a 1 year deal.