- Randy Sportak of the Calgary Sun: Jarome Iginla will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. GM Jay Feaster addressed the Iginla situation on Day 1 of training camp, and won’t do so again.
“The directive here in Calgary, the objective here in Calgary, has not changed. From ownership right on through, our goal and our intent is to have Jarome Iginla spend his entire playing career with the Calgary Flames.
“The one thing we don’t want is to talk to Jarome’s contract every day.”
Jarome added to that:
“I don’t want it to be a distraction to the team, to myself. We have a goal and a mission. We’ve been out of the playoffs three years, with a shortened, intense season, we don’t need a distraction,” said Iginla, who didn’t skate Sunday due to a groin strain. “I believe in this organization and this team.”
“My preference would be to play here on a great team and win. I think we can do that. My focus is going to be on helping this team to the playoffs and ultimately win.”
- Louis Jean via twitter: (tweeted at 5:41 PM) Agent Don Meehan said there was no contact with the Canadiens about P.K. Subban [yesterday].
- Tim Wharnsby of CBC: Wharnsby thinks the Avalanche will have a more difficult time getting Ryan O’Reilly signed, than the Stars will with Jamie Benn and the Canadiens with P.K. Subban. O’Reilly is getting a pro-rated $4 million to play for Metallurg Magnitogorsk of the KHL. Metallurg may also be willing to increase his salary if he remains in Russia. O’Reilly and the Avalanche are believed to be far apart. He has 5 goals and 10 points in 10 games.
- George Richards via twitter: Panthers assistant GM Mike Santos is working on the Dmitry Kulikov deal according to GM Dale Tallon. Tallon said he didn’t know if Kulikov is in Russia or not.
- James Mirtle via twitter: Mirtle thinks that Phil Kessel could easily get $7.5 million a year on a long-term contract. Does a contract extension like that work for the Leafs this July?
- Renaud Lavoie via twitter: The Ducks sign Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond to a 2-way, $550,000 contract.
- Iain MacIntyre via twitter: The Canucks sign Jim Vandermeer to a 2-way deal.