Quick hits: Connolly, Islanders, Coyotes, Underagers, Leaf cuts, Kulikov, Redden, Stars and Kovalev
- Updated: January 18, 2013
- Chris Johnston via twitter: Tim Connolly is getting interest, but he might need to clear waivers first. Some teams would prefer a trade with the Leafs, who would need to retain some salary.David Pagnotta via twitter: Connolly’s agent said there are “no plans yet” regarding a buyout. Added, “We will be discussing options after waiver results.”
- B.D. Gallof via twitter: Source on idea of the Islanders bringing in Connolly, “Not going to happen. I would be shocked”
- Sarah McLellan via twitter: Coyotes will get a $2 million salary cap hit for Matthew Lombardi, and will pay $1.1 of his salary. (Lombardi’s salary this year is $3.5 million)
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: McKenzie thinks there are likely 3 under-aged rookies playing all season in the NHL: Dougie Hamilton in Boston, Nail Yakupov in Edmonton and Jonathan Huberdeau in Florida. Under-agers likely to get a ‘trial’ are: Rakell (ANA), Grigorenko (ANA), Dumba (MIN), Galchenyuk (MTL), Laughton (PHI), Scheifele (WPG). Final decisions on Murphy (CAR), Matteau (NJD), and Rielly (TOR) will be made this morning.
- James Mirtle via twitter: Mirtle is hearing the Maple Leafs will be cutting Morgan Rielly and Matt Frattin today. Should know by their 11:30 am practice. If that is what is happening, it would mean they are starting the season with 8 defenseman: Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Liles, Franson, Kostka, Holzer, Fraser, Komisarek.
- David Pagnotta via twitter: Clarifying that the Panthers and Kulikov have agreed on a 2 year deal, but has not officially been signed until he passes a physical.
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: Wade Redden has narrowed his list to 2 teams. Expected to decide today where he’ll play.
- Ryan Kennedy via twitter: The Stars send goalie Richard Bachman and defenseman Jamie Oleksiak to the AHL.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Alex Kovalev signs a 1 year deal worth $1 million plus bonuses with the Panthers.
← Previous Story Free Agents notes on the big 4: Benn, Kulikov, O’Reilly and Subban