Sunday morning hits: Luongo, Thomas, Babchuk, Benn, Subban, Bertuzzi, Atkinson, Gomez and Islanders
- Updated: January 20, 2013
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: The Panthers have shown interest in Roberto Luongo, but GM Dale Tallon would have to sweeten the pot to land him. Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis hasn’t been as aggressive as many had thought. They know that it would take Tyler Bozak, Nazem Kadri and a 2nd round pick to get him. The Blackhawks could be interested if they struggle to start the season. Tim Thomas wants to play next year, and the Bruins could either let him be a UFA after the season, or ‘toll’ his contract, forcing him to honor the last year on his contract. Some teams were interested in Thomas last July, but he said he wasn’t going to play. The Flames are willing to move defenseman Anton Babchuk.
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: Heika answers on why Stars forward Jamie Benn hasn’t been re-signed yet, piecing together info and speculating in some cases. Benn’s agent, Rich Evans, may be looking for a 3 year or shorter contract. His next deal would obviously be in the millions, but a 3 year deal would allow him to go for a homerun deal on his next deal when he’ll be 26. The Stars won’t go 4 years as he would be a UFA at the end of that. It appears that the Stars are willing to go with 2, 3, 5 or 6 year terms. The sides are off on money for all years. The Stars don’t want to pay a premium price for a RFA. Comparables for RFA years are in the $3.75 to $5 million range. Longer term deal increase to $6.8 on the high end.
- Sean Gentille via twitter: Gentille thinks Red Wings GM Ken Holland send P.K. Subban a 6 year, $30 million offer sheet.
- Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: Red Wings Todd Bertuzzi could miss weeks recovering from mononucleosis. It could be a month before he’s able to skate again. Mono is highly contagious, so he won’t be around the team.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: Blue Jackets winger Cam Atkinson is bothered by a lower-body injury but will play through it.
- Kevin Kurz via twitter: Brent Burns and Jason Demers are both travelling with the Sharks, but that doesn’t mean they will be playing.
- Kevin Kurz via twitter: Bob McKenzie said the Sharks were meeting with Scott Gomez yesterday. David Pollak via twitter: Confirms that Sharks GM Doug Wilson were exploring the fit of Gomez. There is no timetable or rush. Pierre LeBrun via twitter: No other teams are in on Gomez right now, sole focus is with the Sharks.
- Arthur Staple via twitter: The Islanders have 4 defenseman for 2 spots: Martinek, B. Strait, Finley, Hickey
- Tom Gulitti via twitter: Devils Bobby Butler cleared waivers yesterday.
- Dejan Kovacevic via twitter: Tomas Vokoun will start in net for the Penguins today against the Rangers.