- Bob McCown via twitter: (tweeted this morning) Gretzky talked to a MLSE board member about the Maple Leafs presidents job. Gretzky not interested.
- Sportsnet: Nick Kypreos, Damien Cox and Bob McCown talked about Wayne Gretzky becoming the Maple Leafs president on the Fan 590′s Prime Time Sports.
“I’ve often thought Wayne Gretzky was coming back to Toronto,” Cox said on Prime Time Sports Wednesday. If you’re Bell and Rogers, who would be better than Wayne Gretzky as president of the Toronto Maple Leafs.”
“Only chance we see Wayne back in NHL in that type of capacity,” Kypreos told Cox and McCown. “If not, ownership again and I don’t know if he would be interested (in that) with everything he’s gone through with Phoenix.”
- Fan 590 Audio: Gretzky talk on Prime Time Sports.
- Bob McCown via twitter: There is buzz that Wayne Gretzky could be the next president of the Maple Leafs.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: (last night) Gretzky said in a text that there have been no discussions.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: On talk of Gretzky being Leafs president: “TML presidency one of few jobs in hockey 99 would seriously consider but no direct contact between MLSE and Gretzky camp has been made. There likely was informal 3rd party inquiries – after Bell/Rogers took over Aug but none in last 2 months – and perhaps internal MLSE talks. Bottom line for me: Gretzky would be all ears if MLSE wants to go down that road but nothing tangible with MLSE seems to have taken place.”
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: LeBrun thinks that Jamie Benn could be the first of P.K. Subban and Ryan O’Reilly to re-sign. Comparables: John Tavares (6 years, $33 million), Evander Kane (6 years, $31.5 million) and Phil Kessel (5 years, $27 million). Benn won’t do 6 years. He’s willing to do 5 years. LeBrun thinks that if the Stars would go a bit higher than Kessel’s contract, a deal would get done. O’Reilly is making good money in Russia, tax-free, so he has that leverage. There has been nothing between Subban and the Canadiens for a while. Subban wants a long term deal, the Canadiens want a 2 year deal. Habs GM Bergevin insists he won’t trade Subban, but LeBrun wonders that if this drags on that he might reconsider.
- James Mirtle via twitter: Mirtle responds “One rumour: Dallas,” to Bruce Garrioch saying that lots of people are wondering where former Leafs GM Brian Burke will resurface.
- Slava Malamud via twitter: KHL president Alexander Medvedev announced they will have a “Cup of Hope” playoffs for non-playoff teams. David Pagnotta via twitter: Pagnotta spoke with several KHLers today, and they are not happy with the playoff tournament. Players were never consulted.
- Randy Miller via twitter: Flyers GM Paul Holmgren on burning the first year of 3 for Scott Laughton in a short season: ”No. I think about the Flyers. That’s all.”