Trade Rumors: Luongo, Oilers, Blackhawks, Capitals, Niederreiter, Subban and Flames
- Updated: January 23, 2013
- David Ebner of the Globe and Mail: So the Canucks have said they have “two No. 1s” in net and their GM has a potential deal in place.
“Would you not say I have two No. 1s right now?” said coach Alain Vigneault after practice on Tuesday in response to a question of whether Schneider is the team’s No. 1 goalie. “I’ve got two great goaltenders and my job is to pick the one I feel gives us the best chance to win.”
Canucks GM Mike Gillis said yesterday in a short interview that “there are lots of potentials,” and nothing firm was in place.
“I don’t know what to make of it, to be honest with you,” said Luongo in the locker room after practice Tuesday. “I don’t want to read into that stuff that’s in the papers and out there in the media, because that’s just detrimental to myself and the team. Until I hear from Mike himself, I’m not going to make anything of it.”
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: Despite the buzz today, a Roberto Luongo trade is no closer to happening now than yesterday or last week. It is possible that the “mystery” could be the Panthers or Flyers, which is not a mystery but Gillis’s not who you think it is quote is ambiguous. There may not be a mystery team. If there is, a deal is not imminent at all.
- Jason Gregor via twitter: Roberto Luongo to the Oilers makes little sense. Would put the Oilers in a cap crunch next year. TSN Radio via twitter: Bob McKenzie said the Oilers are interested in Luongo. The Blackhawks have had a long interest in Luongo. Said the list of teams that he won’t go to isn’t that long.
- Michael Clifford via twitter: Hockey Central guys were talking about Luongo to Washington as a possibility.
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: The Maple Leafs remain the most logical team for Luongo. LeBrun guesses that the Flyers may only be interested in Luongo in the summer, and only if “A) Luongo is still in Vancouver and B) Ilya Bryzgalovhad another brutal season.” It wouldn’t surprise LeBrun if the Bryzgalov struggles again this year, he could be bought out by the Flyers and then trade for Luongo.The Senators are looking for a depth on the blueline.
“Not much has presented itself. I’ve talked to a number of teams and I hear the same story from a number of general managers — everybody is looking for depth on the blue-line,” Murray told ESPN.com Tuesday. “I don’t know that there will be many quick deals made at this point. But that’s not to say we’re not talking. We’ll look and if we can find somebody that upgrades us, we will. We’d got Lundin coming back at some point, so we’re not in a panic, but if we can get a more experienced guy, we’re certainly going to pursue it.”
- B.D. Gallof via twitter: A couple things on the Nino Niederreiter situation: “1. There is NO quote from Nino’s agent in piece. nothing on record. 2. so thx to that, easy to leak a loose from camp comment to push things, if agent making a play here. 3. As i have mentioned in blogs, Nino a likely player in case of injuries to come up. seems like jumping the gun if a request made.”
- Dave Stubbs via twitter: Subban’s agent said in a text that the “trade P.K.” attributed to him that was put out there on twitter is absolutely 100% untrue.
- Roger Millions via twitter: The Flames could be looking to add another goalie for their system as they only have Miikka Kiprusoff and Leland Irving under contract.