- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: Avalanche forward Steve Downie will have season ending knee surgery to repair a torn ACL. Downie suffered the injury on Tuesday night. The Avs recalled Brad Malone.
- Philadelphia Flyers: Flyers GM Paul Holmgren on Scott Hartnell: ”Scott will be out indefinitely with a left foot injury. We will know more on this within a day or two as we await results of tests.”
- James Mirtle via twitter: Maple Leafs Joffrey Lupul has a broken forearm. Was hit by a shot from the point.
- NHL.com: Coyotes goalie Mike Smith left midway through the first period last night with a lower body injury. He is listed as day-to-day and will travel with the team to San Jose. They will call up Chad Johnson from the AHL as an emergency call-up.
“Lower body. Day-to-day. Not sure where he’ll be tomorrow, so we’ll have a call-up,” coach Dave Tippett said. “The trainers came to me after warmup and said Smitty is a little tight, you might want to keep an eye on him. And ‘a little tight’ turned into ‘can’t play.’”
Martin Hanzal and Rostislav Klesla missed the game with lower body injuries.
- Kevin Kurz via twitter: The Sharks have put Brent Burns on the IR to make from for Scott Gomez on the roster. He seemed to be walking around the room fine. Burns hasn’t skated since the the days leading up to the start of training camp.
“From what I’m told, he’s improving every day. Obviously when you go on IR you’re not playing tomorrow, or we would have never done that. After that, it’s a day-by-day thing,” McLellan said.
Defenseman Jason Demers is still recovering from a fractured wrist and can’t take a full slap shot yet. He’s out through at least the weekend.