Sunday morning rumor round up: Flyers, Coyotes, Avalanche, Maple Leafs, Kings, Ducks, Rangers. Islanders, and Panthers
- Updated: February 3, 2013
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: The Flyers are off to a 2-6-1 start and GM Paul Holmgren needs help everywhere. They need scoring, would like another blueliner, and could use goaltending help. Word is they would like to make “a big move.” Holmgren could see if Jarome Iginla is available. Coyotes Keith Yandle may be the only impact blueliner available, but he would come with a high price tag and makes $5.25 million. Holmgren may be looking for a capable backup for Bryzgalov. Avalanche’s Ryan O’Reilly is looking for more than Matt Duchene’s $3.5 million, which is why he’s been offered around. The Maple Leafs have held talks with the Kings about Jonathan Bernier, and they aren’t the only team interested. Many wonder what Shane Doan is thinking about the Coyotes situation. The Canucks, Rangers and Flyers were interested before, and might be again. The Panthers are not for sale, but owher Cliff Viner is looking for investors. The Sharks are looking for a winger to give him move balance on all three lines. Leafs GM Dave Nonis may consider trading Phil Kessel, though it may be hard to find someone who would take on the $5.4 million cap hit and is one year away from being an unrestricted free agent. Once (if) the Islanders are out of the playoff picture, expect Mark Streit to be dealt, likely for a 2nd round pick. The Ducks and Ryan Getzlaf were reportedly close on a long-term $6 million deal before the lockout, could it be resurrected?
- Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer: The Flyers may look to upgrade their offense. They may prefer to move draft picks to acquire it. The Rangers, Kings, Capitals and Predators may also be looking to add offense. The Flyers have about $1.5 million in cap space, but that will grow when Chris Pronger and Matt Walker are put on the LTIR. Some players that will be UFA’s at the end of the season that may intrigue the Flyers are: Corey Perry, Brenden Morrow, Michael Ryder, Stephen Weiss, Ryan Getzlaf, Alexander Semin, David Clarkson and Jarome Iginla.
- Spector’s Hockey via twitter: Elliotte Friedman said that there are rumors that the Panthers could move Stephen Weiss for the right price. Panthers GM Dale Tallon calls those rumors ridiculous. Tallon said he won’t trade Weiss. Glenn Healy says that Weiss is on the trade market.
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: From Hockey Night in Canada’s Hotstove. Glen Healy said the Avs were cheating fans by not signing O’Reilly and Kevin Weeks said “The Avs are dumb if they don’t sign O’Reilly.” Healy added the Avalanche are trying to trade Shane O’Brien for a forward.