- Elliotte Friedman of CBC: Panthers GM Dale Tallon on Stephen Weiss rumors, who will be a UFA and has a no-movement clause.
“Ridiculous,” Tallon said. “I’m not trading him, I’m going to try to sign him.”
Travis Zajac’s 8 year, $46 million contract could be in the ballpark of what Tallon may offer. There are 7 pending UFA centers who, in theory, could center a first line: Ryan Geltzlaf, Valtteri Filppula, Weiss, Derek Roy, Mike Ribeiro and Patrik Elias. Would Jarome Iginla be interested in Flyers if he considered moving on? Are they a cup contender this year though? The Penguins may have an opening for him. The Canucks offered Cody Hodgson to the Capitals for John Carlson last year. Flames Miikka Kiprusoff doesn’t have a no-trade clause, but it doesn’t mean the Flames are in a rush to move him. The Sabres have eight defenseman, and GM Darcy Regier has told teams, ”Give me a reason to trade one.”
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Sources say it will likely be another week before the trade market shakes loose, more separation between playoff and non-playoff teams. Senators GM Bryan Murray likely won’t find a Jason Spezza replacement unless he gives up a top prospect. Capitals George McPhee and Flyers Paul Holmgren have been working the phones desperately.
“There’s not many players available,” said a league executive Monday. “If you want one, and one becomes available, you better go snap him up quick cause the market is light.”
- Jimmy Murphy via twitter: Even though the Panthers are denying it, Murphy is hearing more and more that Stephen Weiss is available. If Murphy was Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli, he’d go after him.
- Jimmy Murphy via twitter: Murphy thinks that if any team is looking for a young, skilled defenseman, they should try to pry Dmitri Kulikov from the Panthers. His holdout and bad start may make him available.
- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: The trade market is quiet as GMs aren’t ready to make any moves just yet. Teams aren’t out of it yet. Flyers GM Paul Holmgren is working the phones.
- The Fourth Period: The Penguins could be looking for a winger to play with Evgeni Malkin, and they could once again be looking at Maple Leafs Nikolai Kulemin. The Penguins asked about him last year, and apparently had a 1st round pick on the table, which was turned down by Brian Burke. The Penguins had 2 scouts at the Leafs-Hurricanes game on Monday.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: (mailbag) Matheson doesn’t see the Oilers trading for Jonathan Bernier. There would be a better chance of the Maple Leafs trading for him. The Kings need some scoring and help on the blueline.
- Bob Stauffer via twitter: Stauffer thinks that Maple Leafs David Steckel makes sense for a short term fix at center for the Oilers. Steckel is likely available as he’s in and out of the Leafs lineup. He’s been one of the top face-off guys for years. Ryan O’Reilly is a type of guy the Oilers should target if his contract stalemate drags on. He’s a strong, skilled two-way center.
- Jim Matheson via twitter: The longer O’Reilly’s stalemate goes on, the more feeling you get that he’s not long for the Avalanche. Matheson doesn’t think he’s a $5 million player though.