- Bob McKenzie via twitter: The Columbus Blue Jackets are expected to name Jokerit’s GM Jarmo Kekalainen as the new GM at a simultaneous 9:30 AM press conference. Kekaleinen would be the first European GM. He played in the NHL with the Bruins and Senators and has front office experience with the Blues and Senators. Aaron Portzline via twitter: Brian Burke may not have been on their list as he’s not a No. 2 guy in hockey operations. John Davidson is No. 1 in Columbus. Portzline was told the Blue Jackets didn’t ask permission to speak with Predators assistant GM Paul Fenton or Kings assistant GM Ron Hextall.
- Paul Giblin of the Arizona Republic: Anthony LeBlanc and Matthew Hulsizer, both previously were unsuccessful bidders, are combining their efforts and exploring the options on the terms and conditions to buy the Phoenix Coyotes. LeBlanc would be the lead man with 5 or 6 investors. LeBlanc stressed that they are in the preliminary stages.
“We continue to explore what the options are,” LeBlanc said.
“This time around, while I don’t actually know this will be the case, I think the league is going to take a much more involved role in discussions with the city. So I’m kind of seeing what the league’s coming to this time, before we really get ourselves too engaged.”
- Andy Strickland via twitter: Source is saying Matt Hulsizer hasn’t seen anything related to the “current” sale of the Phoenix Coyotes. Apparently Hulsizer hasn’t given up his pursuit of owning an NHL team.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: There is a chance that the Blues will scratch Wade Redden tonight as Kris Russell is back and will be in the lineup.
- Jonathan Willis of the Edmonton Journal: Willis wonders if the Oilers will consider moving Taylor Hall to center. The Oilers are stacked on the wings and he would bring size up the middle. The Oilers have kicked the idea around before. Former coach Tom Renney tried it for several games. New coach Ralph Krueger has talked about it too. It may not be a good idea right now as it Sam Gagner has played really well in the No. 2 slot this year. Another reason to not move him right now is the depth on the left side isn’t the greatest at the moment. Nail Yakupov may not be ready for a first line role. Paajarvi or Hartikainen may not be ready for a top 6 role just yet. The last reason is that they had the opportunity to experiment with Hall at center during the lockout at Oklahoma City and they didn’t.